Honored Contributor

Thanks everyone for the replies....I do know that I need to season the pan...mom cooked with cast iron, and it was drilled into my head how to take care of her pan, ha, ha...

...and I thought a good cast iron pan would be more expensive!

again, thanks.

Honored Contributor

good to cook some stuff in, but, I'm not hefting around heavy cast iron.

Honored Contributor

Re: Cast Iron question

[ Edited ]

You can find authentic Griswold pieces at your local antique mall.  Wagner is another older brand.  Prices depend on rarity, some of this stuff is really pricey.  

Esteemed Contributor

Keep getting embarrassed here.  Turned mine over to confirm brand, and realized the undercarriage has been neglected.  Upside down being seasoned right now.  A work in process....

Trusted Contributor

This is just my honest opinion, and from experience, I absolutely DO NOT recommend Geoffrey Zacharian Cast Iron. I purchased all three sizes of his cast iron pans....they worked great....at first....now, no matter what I use as a non-stick coating....everything sticks around the center of the pan. They were suppose to be non-stick...and, again, at first they were....now....everything sticks. I'm out a lot of money for my purchases, but if I can save someone else money from not buying them, then it's worth it. 

Honored Contributor

That's good to know. I don't have any, but, just from the presentations looked like it would be good stuff.

Honored Contributor

Lodge i find is the best.

When you lose some one you L~O~V~E, that Memory of them, becomes a TREASURE.
Honored Contributor

@Mom2Dogs wrote:

I want to purchase a cast iron pan...the nice old black ones are the ones I really like.  

I always undersoodt the Giriswold brand was the best to buy, the vintage ones.....if I cannot find one locally to purchase what is the next best option, which I guess would be new.

thanks

I have my grandmothers Griswold skillet that had been handed down to my mother.  

One day I had used it and when it came time to clean it decided it was too much trouble to try to keep it the way they did and was going to give it to Goodwill.

Changed my mind after I did the research on it and saw the potential value of it.  

I do use it a couple of times a week now.

Honored Contributor

@CelticCrafter I have a small, maybe 6" cast iron that was my grandma's....it's well seasoned but it's so small, I rarely use it.

Contributor
If your looking for something other than lodge or add to your collection check out stargazer cast iron. They are made in the USA by a small company I believe in Pennsylvania. They have a website & Facebook page.