Esteemed Contributor

@software, I have the 5 quart one and I have a bigger one...sounds like the 8 qt one.  I love to make stew in mine.  I bought the 5 quart one because the larger one was so heavy.  Love the way it cooks.  Costco here (Canada) had a very good deal on a three piece set, almost the same price I paid the the 5 quart.  LM

Respected Contributor

Re: Cast Iron cookware

[ Edited ]

@BirkiLady

I have cooked with Le Creuset enameled cast iron on a glass cooktop without incident since the 1990s.

Yet  I see posts every now and then about heavy cast iron not being good for glass stoves.

What I don't like in  my recently purchased home are the rough iron grates on a gas cooktop that wind up scratching the bottoms of my beautiful LC cookware.

I now often switch to using stainless steel or other types just to protect my LC, cookware...... or pull out one of my two induction burners, plug them in and use LC on those.

Don't fear glass cooktops.  Just try not to suddenly drop a heavy pot on them.  I never seemed to be in danger of doing that destructive sort of thing over many years of use on glass.

I also agree with an opinion mentioned earlier about non-LC brands of cast iron being much heavier. The iron seems to be much thicker, for some reason, and the uncoated rims of the lids and pots can form rust--an experience I've never had with LC.

Trusted Contributor

@Sooner wrote:

@LisaMofSLC wrote:

I really like the idea of cast iron cookware, especially in a braiser and dutch over. I love the CE set for $90, but this past weekend, after people telling me I should check at TJ Maxx, I did just that. Beautiful single pieces (no matched sets available), so I bent to pick up a dutch oven. Good grief, it was so heavy! The lid fell off and made an embarassing clanging noise. I still love the idea of having a piece or two, but if they're that heavy without food in it, how does anyone even move them, let alone wash them. LOL Maybe I'm just  too old?

@LisaMofSLC  Maybe one would "pump you up!"  You are probably too young to remember that!  LOL!!!

@Sooner

HA! Hans & Franz

Cat Very HappyHeartCat Very Happy

FURBABIES ARE THE BREATH OF LIFE
Honored Contributor

I also cooked for years on a glasstop with both cast iron enameled AND the traditional black cast iron fry pans.  Never had a problem!  Just LIFT, don't slide!

I now have a gas grate cooktop.  Yes, the cookware is heavier, but the cooking results are so worth it IMHO.  I have no issues with the weight.

Aldi's has had great prices on enameled....from $14.99 to $26.99!  Several different sizes available.

Maybe start with a lesser priced piece to see if you will like it.

Respected Contributor

I also wash my original, old cast iron with Dawn dishsoap, rinse  and then put it on m my gas stove top flame low to dry - takes les than a minute.  I never have to re-season it.  My two cast iron pieces are marked  Cast Iron Skillet Griddle 109, Griswold, Erie PA 202; and Cast Iron Skillet 8, Griswold, Erie, U.S.A., 704P.  Purchased at a tag sale in 1970's and both used all the time and in great shape  Epecially the griddle which I keep on the top of the stove and use all the time.  Even makes great toast in the morning.  i have never cooked or griddled anythingthat has acid composition.  I would be lost without these two pans.  A great buy. 

Honored Contributor

I had to quit using my cast iron dutch oven because it was so heavy with food in it.  Also, very heavy to wash.

Dont let anyone fool you, you have to wash any cast iron with soap and water.

My cast iron skillet I still use, its not so heavy.  But I still have difficulty washing it.

I must add I am 73 and have fibromyalgia so heavy lifting for me is work.

BE THE PERSON YOUR DOG THINKS YOU ARE! (unknown)
Trusted Contributor

@novamc1 wrote:

What I don't like in  my recently purchased home are the rough iron grates on a gas cooktop that wind up scratching the bottoms of my beautiful LC cookware.

I have been using my LeCrueset almost daily on my Gas stove for at least the past 2 years and haven't noticed any scratching from the grates.  Yours must be really rough.  I use the pan so much I leave it on the stove.

Esteemed Contributor

@RespectLife, totally in love with my dual fuel stove.  Love it and will never go back to electric cooktop.  LM

Respected Contributor

we bought  a 12 inch black cast iron skillet and so far we love it. i have fried chicken in it ,have fried french frys alot of times and when i made the chicken i put hot water and dawn in it let it soak a little while and it cleaned very quick and i dried it right away . havnt had to reseason it.

Esteemed Contributor

@novamc1  I use the old black cast iron because they were my grandmother's and mom's pieces. Sure, purchasing LC cast iron would work on a flat top stove . . . but I wouldn't be using my inherited pieces which hold so much sentimental value. Perhaps you didn't understand my potential delemma?

BTW: It's only "if and when" my current range dies! So far, I'm fine . . . just the clock isn't working. 

Money screams; wealth whispers.