Super Contributor

Re: Cash or card at the grocery store?

This is a little off topic but I think worth mentioning.  During the recent Northern California wildfires my immediate area wasn't damaged however the power was out for a few days.  Our local grocery store was open but on generator power.  All perishables had been removed.  While checking out I asked if their credit card system was up or if they needed cash only.  The clerk said their credit cards were up and went on to say use the card for groceries and save your cash for gas.  I filed that advice away as information possibly useful to know.

Honored Contributor

For years I wrote checks, but lately been using CC to get the points.  Also, less trips to cash a check for cash on hand.   I pay card in full each month.  Just because I'm using  CC, it doesn't change my shopping style--buy mostly what is on sale and  stock up on good values.

Honored Contributor

@Foggy morning

That's good advice. I live in Earthquake Country and I'm pretty much unprepared for a disaster, except for one thing. I keep a sum of money in the house, in small bills, because ATMs and credit card systems will likely be unavailable.  I also keep my car's tank nearly full most of the time, never less than half a tank.

~ house cat ~
Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Annabellethecat66

Given all the protections for credit card use and few protections for debit card use, what is your reason for selecting the debit card option?  Just curious.

For example, you can (and I have done this) dispute a charge  through your credit card company for a defective item or service not received from a retailer.  You can't do this with a debit card.

If you rent a car and use certain credit cards for the rental fees, and then the car is damaged by someone else on the road  while you are driving it (this has also happened to me), the card company picks up an initial amount that might keep you from paying the deductible on your auto insurance.  

I notice one poster cited the relative quickness of paying cash versus credit card...........but I'm encountering some checkout machines that process and approve a credit card purchase much faster than they used to.  

When I  pay cash, it takes time for the cashier to count up and count out my change.  Then I have to deal with putting away the change.

A previous poster pointed out (and I agree) that using a credit card is like getting an interest-free loan until the bill comes in monthly.  With a debit card, your money is gone as soon as you swipe it.

My son has had his debit card hacked a couple times, and I still can't convince him to use the perfectly good credit card he has. 

So there must be a reason unknown to me for favoring debit cards.

Honored Contributor

@novamc1 I have noticed that card processing machines (especially in grocery stores) process the transaction much faster recently.  Cash is not quicker. 

Respected Contributor

@kelsey17 wrote:

@Mominohio wrote:

@castlenv wrote:

We use a credit card everywhere.  Don't like carrying a lot of cash around and I do like getting cash back for spending what I would have anyway.  Always pay off cards monthly.

I get annoyed when I see people writing checks at the supermarket.  At least get a debit card.  We are in the 21st century.

AT least people with checks are paying cash and it takes much less time that waiting behind somone with the WIC papers.

At least in our state, they still use the paper vouchers for WIC and it takes forever, as some customers bring half a dozen vouchers with them and they process seperately. 

I often use checks but i always fill everything but the amount in the check before i go through the register ...that way it takes NO MORE TIME then a debit card....BUT i do see the faces of those behind me....EVEN THOUGH I AM IN AND OUT AS FAST OR FASTER then the person before

me with a CC.................customers automatically get annoyed for some strange reason if anyone pulls out a checkbook!!  And it annoys me back at you!!  I SERIOUSLY don't care how anyone pays at the register..everyone does what is comfortable for them....as they should.........

and when I see the annoyed faces about me writing a check, i write that check even slower!!!!  It's about time I annoyed somebody for a change. 

Honored Contributor

@Mj12 wrote:

@novamc1 I have noticed that card processing machines (especially in grocery stores) process the transaction much faster recently.  Cash is not quicker. 

@Mj12 @novamc1

I think for second....I was the reason for the CC slowness!

I blame the ‘Swipe vs Chip’ conversion.

Now? I can fly in & fly out...all w/ one card in my wallet.

Boom. Done. $ back for me. 

Honored Contributor

Checks?

Yeah, the Nostradamus in me says,

It’s just a short time before checks will be obsolete.

Especially with retail.  Too much risk, too costly to process.

Honored Contributor

@house_cat wrote:

@Foggy morning

That's good advice. I live in Earthquake Country and I'm pretty much unprepared for a disaster, except for one thing. I keep a sum of money in the house, in small bills, because ATMs and credit card systems will likely be unavailable.  I also keep my car's tank nearly full most of the time, never less than half a tank.

@house_cat, I think that wherever you live, it's a good idea to keep a wad of cash that would get you through a disaster. I think it might have been the Northridge earthquake that inspired us to do that.

~Who in the world am I? Ah, that's the great puzzle~ Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland
Respected Contributor

@novamc1 wrote:

@Annabellethecat66

Given all the protections for credit card use and few protections for debit card use, what is your reason for selecting the debit card option?  Just curious.

For example, you can (and I have done this) dispute a charge  through your credit card company for a defective item or service not received from a retailer.  You can't do this with a debit card.

If you rent a car and use certain credit cards for the rental fees, and then the car is damaged by someone else on the road  while you are driving it (this has also happened to me), the card company picks up an initial amount that might keep you from paying the deductible on your auto insurance.  

I notice one poster cited the relative quickness of paying cash versus credit card...........but I'm encountering some checkout machines that process and approve a credit card purchase much faster than they used to.  

When I  pay cash, it takes time for the cashier to count up and count out my change.  Then I have to deal with putting away the change.

A previous poster pointed out (and I agree) that using a credit card is like getting an interest-free loan until the bill comes in monthly.  With a debit card, your money is gone as soon as you swipe it.

My son has had his debit card hacked a couple times, and I still can't convince him to use the perfectly good credit card he has. 

So there must be a reason unknown to me for favoring debit cards.

Read post #8