@Marp wrote:

@sidsmom wrote:

I’m stunned many use the Debit Card.

With all the POS identification/security breeches,

why would one want to take that risk?

I have this vision those people walk around leaving the

front door of their house unlocked...and have multiple

signed blank checks in their wallet...just asking people

to steal from them...just like using a debit card as the POS.

My debit card has the same zero liability protections as my bank credit card.

Mine too. Who doesn't know about this?

I'm stunned.

Respected Contributor

Re: Cash or card at the grocery store?

[ Edited ]

The problem with debit cards is that once yours is stolen and used, your entire bank account could be emptied in a heartbeat.   Meanwhile, other deductions from that account  to pay bills might not go through, creating overdue balances.  The bank will give you your money back, but it usually takes a while to process.

We had a credit card number stolen and used, and did not suffer any delay or loss, because the credit card bill only  comes once a month, giving time to see any damage amd report the illegitimate charges........Debit cards will debit a bank account instantly--and the money is out of your hands, you won't even know it quickly, and won't have access to that money  until the mess gets straightened out.

Using  debit card is asking for more aggravation than it's worth.

Highlighted
Honored Contributor

I always use my debit card and sometimes credit cards when grocery shopping, no problems with over spending.

When I'm in line at stores I don't pay attention to how a customer pays for their groceries and other items, I'm generally a patient person while waiting my turn. 

You Don't Own Me- Leslie Gore
(You don't Know) How Glad I Am- Nancy Wilson
Esteemed Contributor

@novamc1 wrote:

The problem with debit cards is that once yours is stolen and used, your entire bank account could be emptied in a heartbeat.   Meanwhile, other deductions from that account  to pay bills might not go through, creating overdue balances.  The bank will give you your money back, but it usually takes a while to process.

We had a credit card number stolen and used, and did not suffer any delay or loss, because the credit card bill only  comes once a month, giving time to see any damage amd report the illegitimate charges........Debit cards will debit a bank account instantly, and the money is out of your hands until the mess gets straightened out.

Last year I had an unauthorized charge on my debit card. I notified the bank and a conditional refund was immediately posted to my account.  Within 2 days the conditional was removed and funds fully restored.

The eyes through which you see others may be the same as how they see you.
Honored Contributor

CC for large and small purchases since most stores no longer have a minimum purchase requirement. I just don't like to handle money. I use cash only if the self checkout is not acceptig anything else. My ATM / debit card is used for ATM withdrawals which is rare and never used for debit.

When dining with friends, I pay my share in cash. Once I was having lunch with coworkers who were millennials, I took out cash and they all whipped out their phone to XOOM money to the one who was using their cc. I felt like a dinosaur.

Respected Contributor

Cash only. To me it seems to take longer to use a credit card. 

Esteemed Contributor

Usually a credit card to get points and pay it off each month.  However if the total bill is under $20 I pay cash.

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Ms tyrion2 wrote:

@Marp wrote:

@sidsmom wrote:

I'm stunned.

We all know there is zero liability for fraudulent purchases. But the $$ is immediately sucked out with a debit card. So now starts the hassle of getting it back. That plus there are zero benefits with a debit card. We get $600 cash back - free money from our cc. Why the heck would I pay cash or use a debit card? 

Honored Contributor

@novamc1 wrote:

We had a credit card number stolen and used, and did not suffer any delay or loss, because the credit card bill only  comes once a month, giving time to see any damage amd report the illegitimate charges........Debit cards will debit a bank account instantly, and the money is out of your hands until the mess gets straightened out.

that is why you dont put all of your eggs in one basket. i actually have two checking accounts and the one i use the most for shopping,  i dont put a lot of money in PLUS it is backed by my bank......just like a credit card. the money is usually back in there within 24-48 hours.

"The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing." - Albert Einstein
Honored Contributor

@Ms tyrion2 wrote:

@Marp wrote:

@sidsmom wrote:

I'm stunned.

I personally like to make money on my money.

If I initiate a transaction on my credit card proper, say, on the 1st of the month, I have that entire month before the statement cycle ends.  Then add an additional month to pay off the purchase.  Pay everything in full, no charges.  My credit card company literally gives me an interest free loan for 60 days, in this illustration.  I can earn interest on my $$ before using it to pay off the credit card.  

If you use a debit card, choosing credit function, it will be out of your checking account in 2-3 days.