Honored Contributor

Cash or card at the grocery store?

[ Edited ]

The last few years I've been using a charge card at the grocery store, then paying it off each month.  In this way, I get valuable points to spend on Amazon for other things.  Lately I realized that I'm buying food we don't need and wasting some of it.  I went back to using cash last month and lo' and behold, I'm spending less money.

Do you use a card, or cash, for grocery shopping?

~ house cat ~
Esteemed Contributor

Re: Cash or card at the grocery store?

Debit card.

Honored Contributor

From the listed specials, I write a menu for the week and the list of items I need beside it.  That goes on the side of the fridge.

During the week, if I empty something like soy sauce, I write it on the old list then transfer it to the list going to the store.  I never have to "dig through cabinets to see what's missing".

I always use a debit card.

Valued Contributor

Third option.... I write a check.

Respected Contributor

I don’t over spend at the grocery store. I use a credit card. We use cards with perks (cash back, hotel points etc) and always pay our bills in full. Debit cards, to me, are awful. No benefit and if someone gets a hold of it has direct immediate access to my money. My DD has her debit card stolen and it was a hassle to stop the card, get her $$ back and open a new one. No more. 

Esteemed Contributor

CC for the points. I make a grocery list from the sale items and stick to it. The card statement lets me keep track of my monthly spending and (try to) stay on budget.

The food spending is hundreds per month, even for a household of one (plus dog). Cash gives you nothing back. Must rack up those CC points! Card is paid off monthly.

Honored Contributor

I charge virtually everything, but I do think this is another instance where we need to know ourselves because if charging means spending for what you don't need or really want, then the little bit you get back as a reward becomes meaningless.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

AT this point in my life, I don't care about points or miles and such on general credit cards. 

I know me, (and 'me' is not what is best for everyone), but when I charge, I will over spend. So all the rewards don't make up, over the year, for how I will overspend on the card.

The best thing I can do when I'm out and about, groceries, gas, restaurants, TJ Maxx, Walmart etc. running errands, is to use cash, or my checkbook, because those two forms of payment aren't open ended, the way my credit cards are.

It makes me think, I have to stop when it runs out. If I'm only half way through my planned day, and the money is running low, I have to adjust what I spend and where. It makes me so much more aware of just what I'm spending, and controlling that spending.

I'm sure there are those on here that will say using credit doesn't make them over spend. I think it is probably more that they are just financially comfortable enough that making impulse purchases (no matter how small or how good a deal, or how 'necessary' it might seem at the time) doesn't send them into the red. 

I used to notice everyone swiping cards at the grocery store in the last decade or so, but recently, I see a lot of cash payments being made. Maybe others are thinking the same.

As for debit, don't have one, don't want one, don't intend to change my mind of that for the foreseeable future.

Edited to add

Ha! I had to change the sentence in the second paragraph in ()! Added the word not. Changes the whole thing!

Honored Contributor

I use cash for food shopping. I usually just use ccs fo online shopping, or when a card makes more sense. 

" You are entitled to your opinion. But you are not entitled to your own facts."
Daniel Patrick Moynihan
Super Contributor

Several years ago I, too, swiched to grocery shopping with a credit card.  I like to see how much we spent on food each month.  While it's just the two of us now at home, we entertain some and i bake for the extended family weekly.  Of course credit card points/$$ is added incentive.  I pay the balace off on the credit card monthly.