Esteemed Contributor

Does anyone know why we are still having a shortage of ball and kerr canning lids? They were next to impossible to find last year, and I really thought they would be in stock by now, but that isn't the case. 

I did order some from Ebay for about double what they should be. I just don't understand how we have had a shortage for a year now. 

Also still can't find my diet cherry 7 up that disappeared about the same time as the lids. 

How are we still having shortages over a year later?

Are you having shortages still yet in your areas?

Honored Contributor

Googling may answer your questions. 

"BUSINESS

Local canners in a pickle over ongoing canning-lid shortage

Bregg thinks the shortage stems from “a perfect storm” of conditions: COVID-weary folks turning to home-gardening and canning to alleviate grocery bills and fears of future food shortages; millennial do-it-yourselfers who find they now have time to try homespun pursuits like canning salsa, and pandemic-related slow-downs at every level of the supply chain. "
New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Esteemed Contributor

Funny you should mention diet 7 Up.

Sugar free Canada Dry ginger ale was in short supply here for weeks. Now it seems sugar free iced tea mixes are in short supply.

Esteemed Contributor

@Kachina624 wrote:

Googling may answer your questions. 

"BUSINESS

Local canners in a pickle over ongoing canning-lid shortage

Bregg thinks the shortage stems from “a perfect storm” of conditions: COVID-weary folks turning to home-gardening and canning to alleviate grocery bills and fears of future food shortages; millennial do-it-yourselfers who find they now have time to try homespun pursuits like canning salsa, and pandemic-related slow-downs at every level of the supply chain. "

I understand that a lot more people are canning, but Ball and Kerr had to know that last year. Why not put some workers on overtime, or hire more people so maybe those of us who like to can would have enough lids to do it? 

Not aggravated with you, @Kachina624, I'm just frustrated. I don't feel like I expect that much in life, but I would like to be able to get canning jar lids.

Honored Contributor

Isnt it the wrong time of year for canning supplies to be fully stocked?  Perhaps the situation will improve as summer progresses. 

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Respected Contributor

I found canning lids on the store shelves in January and Feb, but they're gone now.

Honored Contributor

That shortage was going on before Covid.

I only know that because my friend has a huge garden (over 321 tomato plants alone from seed) and many other vegetables.

He cans most of his food except for meat.

He was talking about the shortage for 2 years now.

Honored Contributor

There's an Aluminum Shortage.

Someone selling some made from iron on Wal-Mart???

Honored Contributor

You can get knockoffs on Amazon that should work. The name brand ones can be found on eBay and Etsy selling for vastly inflated prices by the retail pirates. There are people who make hundreds of thousands of dollars a year by buying items in short supply (in some cases creating the shortages themselves) and then doubling or tripling the price and reselling the items to people who can't get them otherwise. It's not always the fault of the supplier as they're supplying them, the retail pirates are just grabbing them as soon as they hit the shelves. If anything is in short supply, they grab them, mark them up and resell them.

These retail pirates largely got their start with the limited-edition sneaker market and have now moved into nearly every retail category. If something is in short supply, they'll find all of it they can and corner the market.

Fly!!! Eagles!!! Fly!!!
Esteemed Contributor

Lids have always been a bit of a problem if you wait too long into the season.

For some reason I snagged a stash in January or February 2020.  Thought I would pass them around, since that is common for my clan.

Still have more than enough just for me, but not going to share this year 😂