Contributor

Canned "whompum" biscuit question

Does anyone have suggestions regarding the best way to store these biscuits after opening them?  Even buying the small package, we have some left over.  I tried putting them in a Lock n Lock, but they just sort of fall flat when I go to use them again in a few days.  I tried setting them out to come to room temperature before baking, but that didn't help.  They taste OK, but just seem to "dense" when baked.  Is there a way to store them that will result in better results? Thank you.

Honored Contributor

Re: Canned "whompum" biscuit question

I, for one, have no idea what a whompum  biscuit is.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Trusted Contributor

I'm pretty sure you're talking about the biscuits sold in the tubes in the refrigerated section that you hit against the counter to break open....I sympathize with you about the leftover biscuit dilemma...it seems like such a waste when the most we would eat at a time is 4 and there's just my husband and I.  I, too, have tried to wrap them and reheat them but they do not bake the same as when you first open them.  I have thought about writing to the manufacturer and requesting that they make these in smaller sizes but never got around to it...in the meantime, I just stopped buying them!  

Honored Contributor

If you're speaking of canned biscuits, I bake the whole tube then keep the left overs in a zip lock  bag to eat at subsequent meals.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Honored Contributor

I switched to frozen biscuits a long time ago!  I think the quality is better and you can bake as few or as many as you want!  Some of them are VERY good.  TOO good come to think of it!

Respected Contributor

I'd bake them all at once and reheat the leftovers.  They won't be as good but at least they'll be cooked and not wasted. 

Respected Contributor

I buy the small tubes- they wont keep  once you open them at least not in the fridge because the leavening goes to "work" once they are opened, and then finishes, and you are left with lead before you can bake them...

Honored Contributor

I also would bake the whole can.   IIRC, there are 8 biscuits in a can.  I kind of plan the next several days or so to use them.   I put them in a Lock & Lock container and they will store very well in a cool place in my kitchen for many days.

But the important thing, and everybody probably knows this, MAKE SURE that they are completely cooled before sealing them up in a container.  I just leave them on the Silpat, but I pick each one up and put it kind of on its side over the lip of the baking sheet, so that they cool completely and there is no 'sweating'.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Sooner wrote:

I switched to frozen biscuits a long time ago!  I think the quality is better and you can bake as few or as many as you want!  Some of them are VERY good.  TOO good come to think of it!

we buy frozen biscuits also......from schwans. they make a regular biscuit and a cheese/herb biscuit. it is so easy to just pull out what i need.

if i do have leftovers i just put biscuits in a ziploc bag and reheat them for the next meal. i like to cut them open and toast them.

http://cdn.schwans.com/media/images/products/61408-1-640.jpg

schwans southern style biscuits (18 biscuits for $8 and sometimes they go on sale) 2.48 pounds

http://cdn.schwans.com/media/images/products/61250-1-640.jpg

schwans herb and cheese biscuits 18 biscuits for $8 (sometimes they are on sale) 1.35 pounds.

"The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing." - Albert Einstein
Honored Contributor

Canned biscuits are meant to be baked all at once after opening.  There is no way to successfully store the raw biscuit with the intent to bake them later.