Honored Contributor

@hick     I would use broiled chicen breasts cut up for chicken salad.  Now I will eat canned tuna but not sure about canned chiden.

kindness is strength
Valued Contributor

like another poster stated, it's really good right out of the can, I love canned chicken. Really good to use to make chicken salad. 

Esteemed Contributor

I remember my mom buying and using it (and also canned beef)  occasionally for a quick meal when I was growing up.  I've just never thought to buy it but may look for a can the next time I get groceries.  I normally buy bone-in or boneless chicken breasts to cook and and cut up for soups and casseroles.  

Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit, but Wisdom is knowing not to put it in a fruit salad.
- Author Unknown
Trusted Contributor

As another said, it's just like canned tuna.  Shelf stable and good to keep on hand in the pantry.  I have used this to make chicken salad (mayo style) and buffalo chicken dip.  It's great for those things because it already chunked up and easy to separate.

Like most canned goods, it can be a little high in sodium for my diet, but once in a while seems to work fine.  

Trusted Contributor

We use the one from Costco....we love it!!

Honored Contributor

I have used Trader Joes canned chicken---it is very good.

Honored Contributor

Someone suggested it to me several yrs back and I thought...ewwww!  All I could think of was those small whole chix in a can I saw on Chopped!

I was wrong.  I buy Swanson Grilled and was so surprised at how good it was and so versatile.  And yes, similar to tuna.  I used so many cans making chix soup for people sick with Covid.  Fast, easy and tastes pretty good!  Tacos, salads, a million quick ideas if you don't have chicken in the freezer.

It also is great when our elderly Puggle has digestive issues and needs to go on a Chicken and Rice diet. 

I just don't have the time to thaw and cook chicken breast.

I did try Wally Great Value....and while it was fine for the dog, Swanson is far superior in taste and quality IMHO.  I will stick with Swanson.  (we have no Costco)

Honored Contributor

I, too, really like the Kirkland brand canned chicken.  I only discovered it a year or two ago.  I'd never used canned chicken before that.   It is very tasty.

Actually, it was last year.  The husband was at Costco in line and the guy in front of him had two packages of these.  I guess the limit was one and the cashier took the other one.  Husband said "I'll take it", figuring it would be something I would enjoy.  So, that's how I found out about the product.  Smiley Happy

Esteemed Contributor

I purchased some Hormel for my Doxie, when it was BOGO, and I was surprised that it is actually seasoned roasted chicken in broth.  Made some tasty Chicken & Rice for One!  Doxie likes it also!  I always keep some canned chicken for him.  Just in case!

Trusted Contributor

I never bought canned chicken until this past year and a half when getting to the stores was a hassle.  I buy the Swanson's and it is delicious.  It smells exactly like chicken, nothing artificial.  I think it's a good substitute for tuna salad and shrimp salad.  I keep lots of canned good, mostly fish, on hand for lunches -- tuna, shrimp, salmon, sardines, mackeral, even anchovy which I love in salads.