Trusted Contributor

Can you use a tea kettle on an electric smooth top stove?

I bought a house with an electric smooth top range.  I have not had previous experience with this type of stove and cannot find the manual that might have the answer to my question.

Can you use a tea kettle on this type of range, and if so, what type----metal, glass, what?

Thank you in advance for your advice.

“I can do things you cannot, you can do things I cannot; together we can do great things.” St.Teresa of Calcutta
Super Contributor

Re: Can you use a tea kettle on an electric smooth top stove?

I have a smooth top range  and yes I use a metal teakettle.  I don't know about glass though.

Trusted Contributor

I would try to find the manual online ~ Google the make and model?

Hope it works : )

Trusted Contributor

Yes!  One of our sons has a smooth top range, and he and his wife

have a tea kettle.  It works out just fine without any problems.

Regular Contributor

Sure!

I've had a glass top over 15 years now.  Here are some tips from my (KitchenAid) manual:

• Make sure the bottom of the pan (kettle) is flat to achieve maximum contact;
  • Make sure the bottom of the pan (kettle) is smooth---nothing rough to scratch the surface of the stove glass (trust me, you'll be really really sorry if you scratch the glass!!!!)
  • Do not slide the pan (kettle) from one position to another across the stove top (another warning against scratching the surface!)

And, just in case you hadn't figured it out yourself already....

• Do not use abrasive cleaning pads on the glass surface (I LOVE using the Campanelli paste on my top!!)
  • Do not use razor blades to scrape glass surface in the event of a boil over...soak a soft cloth in vinegar and (after surface cools) leave the cloth to soften the burned-on mess until you can wipe clean.
  • Avoid dropping heavy objects on glass surface (sure, we all go around wanging hammers on our stove tops!)

You're going to love it!

Honored Contributor

You should NOT use cast iron on a glass top stove - otherwise everything else is fine.

Valued Contributor

@151949

I have used cast iron on my glass stove top.  Can you explain why I should not be doing this?

Honored Contributor

I was using a cast iron dutch oven on my first glass top stove and it cracked and shot splinters of glass all over my kitchen. Called for repairs and the man told me it is the cast iron. That under the glass are coils just like an old fashioned electric stove. There are dots of silicone that hold the glass top above those coils so they don't touch it. When you use heavy cookware it compresses those dots and the glass is touching the hot coils and that leaves the glass vulnerable to shatter as mine did.

Valued Contributor

@151949

OMG!  That makes sense, thank you!

Valued Contributor

I use my Le Crueset pots on my glass cook top with no problem.