Esteemed Contributor

Can you recommend an ice cream maker?

We will be welcoming a new fence and deck before summer arrives, so plan on many more outdoor meals with family and friends.

An ice cream maker is on the top of my list to purchase, so am wondering if you'd like to make a recommendation.

Appreciate you comments and ideas in advance.  Thank you.

Honored Contributor

Re: Can you recommend an ice cream maker?

Ours is an electric ice cream maker by Rival.  Walmart has them every summer, close to the Fourth Of July.  We had 5 of them in our department and I used them with the Advanced Foods labs as well.  I never had one break on me!

Image result for rival ice cream maker

Honored Contributor

I have the attachment to the Kitchen Aid stand mixer.

===================================
QVC Shopper - 1993

# IAMTEAMWEN
Valued Contributor

I've had my cuisinart for years. It the best ice cream,

Respected Contributor

Great to be back on a happier topic with you @sfnative

I adore ice cream, and at our weekend place I always have a Donvier canister in my freezer ready to go!

Rivals are easy to find and inexpensive and last forever-I don't think you could go wrong.

My favorite machine was a gift from hubs ten years ago: I asked for it because room for a canister in our primary res is...I just don't know what happens there!

King Arthur now sells these: it's a one at self contained ice cream machine: there is no canister to freeze. You plug it in, and the self contained freezing element turns on instantly. 

You pour in your mixture and let it go....

At the time of purchase, mine was from a chef's catalogue that is no longer in business and it was close to $500. They have come down in price tremendously!

Other fun ways to make ice cream that I'm just throwing out there is the Roku personal ice cream cup: kids love it-and so do grownups-like myself!

I think Wal-Mart sells these-under $20. You pour in your ice cream, pudding, drink and stir like crazy because it's almost like the action of liquid nitrogen. It is certainly a pleasant way to experiment-and heaven knows, I am up for that!

I have been trying to crack the code for non-dairy ice cream that is not laden with sugar or is sugar free. I think coconut cream and glucomannon is going to get me where I want to go: I have to figure out proportions!

Every now and then, we have discussions about vanilla: I love it and have a wide variety. My favorite is a King A vanilla bean paste-and it's to die for! I could eat it right out of the bottle. 

I always have Nielson Massey: DD and I had a quart that I purchased about 5 yrs ago that we just finished....

I found vanilla bean powder by the pound on Amazon: dry and organic-various price points but all under $20. I am uber excited!

We discussed Mexican vanilla and very few seemed to like it-but I would still love to try it...

My "alternative flour" topic was a dud...I wonder how ice cream would go over...

We are in full summer mode here in SW Florida: mid-90's!

Are thete any regional favorites in Oregon-like wild blueberry?

PS: we have the same situations you do during the summer: 4 day weeks or 1/2 day Fridays. 

I will be following this discussion: I'm sure there will be a lot of input...

Hugs,

Poodlepet2

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

White Mountain. I've had the frozen canister Cuisinart and I don't think it compares to traditional ice and rock salt ice cream makers. 

If you do buy a traditional ice and rock salt machine, make sure it has a stainless steel canister. The aluminum ones will eventually get pin holes and salt water will leak in. Ask me how I know. Which is why I will never buy another Rival, it has an aluminum canister and I ruined a fabulous batch of fresh peach ice cream I made from orchard picked

peaches. 

IMO the ice cream also freezer faster ( faster is better) with a metal dasher. 

Don't Change Your Authenticity for Approval
Honored Contributor

Cuisinart, is best in everything. They make a double size too. You can do one flavor on one side and another flavor on the other side all at the same time.

Bed and Bath online or can check your local stores.

Everythingkitchens dot com has great stuff too.

Honored Contributor

Cuisinart here, too.  I've had mine for so many years - at least 20 I think.   It makes great ice cream.   

Back when I got mine they were more expensive than now, comparatively speaking, and I paid a good amount for an extra canister.  Now, I think you can get one complete with the extra one and, for you, I think that's the best idea.

Esteemed Contributor

I got a Cuisinart last summer and their recipe book has a delicious vanilla ice cream made without eggs.  It is very easy to use.

The next time that I hear salt and ice together, it better be in a margarita!
Respected Contributor

I make ice cream in my Vitamix!

ETERNITY: your choice... smoking or non smoking!