Valued Contributor

Can you help me with flounder, how do I yummy it up?

My husband is the cook in this family but he's out of town and it's just my daughter and I for supper. Got any good tasty suggestions for what I can do with this fish, it's thawed out and ready to go but I am at a loss. I can always throw it away and go have dinner out but that's not the right thing to do. {#emotions_dlg.blink} {#emotions_dlg.sad}

Thanks for your advice in advance. {#emotions_dlg.thumbup}

Respected Contributor

Re: Can you help me with flounder, how do I yummy it up?

Grill it simply in a pan or on a grill with olive oil, salt and pepper.

Honored Contributor

I make a ""tartar"" sauce with mayo and sweet relish.

Valued Contributor

On 3/24/2015 tigriss said:

Grill it simply in a pan or on a grill with olive oil, salt and pepper.

Is that it, won't it come out blah? I have some leftover cabbage and found some rice too in the fridge. ick, I hate to cook.

Respected Contributor

Flounder is a light, white fish, so over seasoning would ruin it. You can marinate it in some italian dressing or add garlic to the mix, but flounder is good, like most fish, without much added to it.

Respected Contributor

We don't have flounder where I live, but I've had it back East when I went to visit relatives. My uncle used to coat it in panko(with salt and pepper) and pan fry. The way I cook most white fish (halibut or cod for example) is drizzle with a little olive oil, lemon, and either Old Bay or Mrs Dash lemon pepper, and bake in the oven at 375 for 30 min.
If you have a garden and a library, you have everything you need.--Marcus Tullius Cicero
Respected Contributor

Valued Contributor

Flounder is a nice mild fish. Generally, just place it in a buttered (or olive oil) baking dish in a 400 or 425 degree oven for 10 - 15 - 20 minutes til done. You can top it or bread it w/ crumbs (italian seasoned or panko), or season with lemon and wine, etc.

If you google baked flounder you'll find a variety of easy recipes with just a couple of ingredients! Enjoy a nice meal w/ your daughter.. it could be a fun learning activity for you both! Bon Appeitit!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
*Kindness is a gift everyone can afford to give.
**Be the reason someone smiles today : )
Respected Contributor

My granddaddy always baked his with sliced potatoes and onions, salt and pepper, and a little bacon grease to season it. When the fish flaked and the potatoes were done it was ready to enjoy!!!
Valued Contributor

On 3/24/2015 Barbarainnc said: My granddaddy always baked his with sliced potatoes and onions, salt and pepper, and a little bacon grease to season it. When the fish flaked and the potatoes were done it was ready to enjoy!!!

Wow! Now THAT's yummying it up! Thanks, B Smiley Happy I often have a baked potato w/ sauteed onion and bacos for supper. ('Slap forehead!) I could be having flounder with it and make it a real meal! Smile

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
*Kindness is a gift everyone can afford to give.
**Be the reason someone smiles today : )