Honored Contributor

Re: Can you eat frozen foods that have thawed?

I do, but only if I have intentionally thawed them in the fridge.
Esteemed Contributor

Was this left on the counter or in the fridge?  If it was left to thaw in the fridge, I don't see a problem.  My mom used to thaw her hamburger and other meat in the sink overnight and we never got sick from it.  That's not something that I'd (or my mom) would do today though.

Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit, but Wisdom is knowing not to put it in a fruit salad.
- Author Unknown
Regular Contributor

We recently had a four day power outage here in CT.  I learned years ago to buy groceries once a month, spend several days cooking various dishes and freezing them, especially stocking up for items that are available only in the summer.  Most years, I have enough food to get through the winter.  However, after this power outage, I had to throw out all of my frozen, home made meals.  I use Lock&Lock containers and when I checked them, there were ice crystals in each of the containers.  That meant that the food had thawed a little and I didn't want to take a chance getting food poisoning.  Even if you don't get sick, the quality of the food is compromised.  Like someone else said, food posoning is no joke.  I also follow the recommended guidelines on how long to keep food in the freezer, whether it is pre-cooked or not.  Hope this helps.

Honored Contributor

As others have said, if you thaw it in the fridge, you're fine. We do that all the time. But you should then cook it within a day or two.

~Who in the world am I? Ah, that's the great puzzle~ Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland