Respected Contributor

Re: Can you bake in a can nowadays or is it no longer okay,

I believe that brown bread is made in a can as people at a time didn't have access to baking pans and aluminum due to the war most likely. If they had a tin can, they could bake bread and things in it. Granted tin cans were all metal back then.
Esteemed Contributor

I don't think it has ever been a good idea to cook/bake in a can; the manufacturers have said for many years (long before the BPA liner phase) that even though their cans of food are heated and processed in the factories, they don't recommend that consumers reuse the cans at home. I know there's some great nostalgia associated with brown bread and a few other traditional items prepared in cans, but it doesn't seem like it's worth the risk to make things in a potentially dangerous container. Just my two-cents' worth...  Smiley Wink

Honored Contributor

If you read all the legal warnings you can't do anything.  Or take anything outside and plug it in. 

Honored Contributor

My grandmother always baked her plum pudding in coffee cans (1940-1960s).

Google "coffee can baking" for more info.

Or ... substitute a pannetone pan ... Amazon sells them.

Esteemed Contributor

@gulf coast girl

The only bread-type item I know of that's baked (actually the batter is steamed) in a can is B&M Brown Bread, (with or without raisins). I buy a can now and then as a treat for myself.

If I wanted to bake in a can, I'd probably feel that's the safest can to use.

This is from the B&M website, FAQs:

Q. Other than bean products I understand that B&M also makes brown bread?
   A. Yes, our B&M Brown Bread is filled into cans as a batter. The cans end is then applied but not sealed completely. The can with the batter is then cooked in our retorts equipment used for the thermal sterilization of foods, with steam at atmospheric pressure for 3 hours during which time the bread rises and leavening gases escape. After cooking is completed the still warm cans are sealed the rest of the way to make the can airtight.