Esteemed Contributor

Re: Can we talk about freezing food?

I cook a lot of lasagne at the holidays so I prepare mine, cook it, then freeze it. The same with meatloaf. Potato casseroles I prepare and freeze then cook.

Respected Contributor

@chickenbutt:  What vacuum sealer do you use?  Intriguing me that I need one too.  Thanks

Honored Contributor

@Hoovermom wrote:

@chickenbutt:  What vacuum sealer do you use?  Intriguing me that I need one too.  Thanks

Hi!   I've used Foodsaver machines (usually not the lowest end ones, though) for 20+ years and found them to be, over all, pretty reliable.

While I do have a couple of spares, I've been using a LEM for the past few years.      I really wasn't shopping it, but one day Amazon had a LEM vacuum sealer as their deal of the day and I couldn't resist.

The thing is, they are not cheap.    The sale price was still more money than any FS, but it was such a deep discount and reviews have always been good, that I just snagged it and haven't looked back.

I like that the housing is all stainles steel, so the amount of plastic on the machine is minimal.   You can totally tell that the motor is much larger!  

The only downside is that it, mine anyway, doesn't have a bag-cutter like the FS ones do.    But that hasn't been a deal-breaker for me due to all the advantages.   There was (is?) this lady who sold covers that she made on ebay and she made me a few custom covers, including one for my LEM vac-sealer.   Yeah, I like to cover stuff.   Smiley Happy   She made me a nice black quilted cover with red piping (or whatever you call that stuff on the seams - I don't sew) and I really like it a lot.   Black and red accents are my kitchen colors for the most part.

If I had to go back to using one of my Foodsavers I wouldn't be disappointed, though.   I'd just probably stick with one of the higher end ones to make sure of durability for somebody like me who is a nut for food storage.

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Hoovermom wrote:

I did a lot of research before buying a vacuum sealer and ended up going with the GameSaver version of the standard FoodSaver because it has so many options for sealing but is still very easy to use, had tons of reviews lauding its sturdiness and long-lasting reliability (which I can also now vouch for), and offers ports for any adapters I may want to use. I keep mine in a cabinet rather than on the countertop since it's a bit bulky, but it is very easy to pull out and put to work when needed.

I also have a handheld FreshSaver that I used a lot when I first got it but rarely use now; I found it very helpful for my bags of shredded cheese that I opened and closed a lot, but I've now switched over to glass containers for shredded cheese in my fridge because they seem to keep it the freshest the longest (and although I know you can freeze shredded cheese, I never do).

Good luck with all your freezing fun!

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

@chickenbutt:  Thanks for the help.  I believe Costco sells Foodsaver machines and I will look there the next time I am in the store.  I always try to use the freezer ziplock bags but find that sometimes there is freezer burn on them fairly soon after freezing them.  Also Amazon is favorite of mine, so I will look there for the LEM (not sure what that stands for but will find out).  Thanks.

ETA: I just checked Amazon, you are right, they are expensive but always keep on wish list.

Honored Contributor

@Hoovermom wrote:

@chickenbutt:  Thanks for the help.  I believe Costco sells Foodsaver machines and I will look there the next time I am in the store.  I always try to use the freezer ziplock bags but find that sometimes there is freezer burn on them fairly soon after freezing them.  Also Amazon is favorite of mine, so I will look there for the LEM (not sure what that stands for but will find out).  Thanks.

I don't know if it stands for anything.  It's just LEM.  Smiley Happy 

Yeah, the problem is that usually by about 48 hours in the ice crystals and freezer burn gets started.    Now, well for the last bunch of years, that freezers are all self-defrosting, that adds to it.  I don't recall the technicalities of that, just the bottom line.

One of my freezers is an older, small chest freezer, so that one is not self-defrosting and if there is anything (seldom!) that I want to put in for a bit without storing it properly, I'll put it in that one because I can buy a little more time before the degradation begins.

Esteemed Contributor

"LEM" is the name of the company—I believe the letters are the initials of its founder. Smiley Happy

Esteemed Contributor

@chickenbutt wrote:
@shoptilyadropagain wrote:

I freeze just about everything.  I'm a household of 1 but I'll make a full stockpot of soup, spaghetti sauce, full casserole, whole 2 lb. meatloaf, etc.  I divide up everything individually and then put them in plastic containers or wrap items in foil, etc.  It would probably taste a bit more fresh if I did the vacuum seal, but I want things put away quickly and that, to me, just adds an extra step and expense. 

The only thing I've found that doesn't freeze well is something with cooked potatoes like vegetable soup, beef stew, etc.  They get too mushy for me.  

I made a chicken/rice casserole over the weekend, divided it up and then froze it.  I pulled a container out last night for my dinner tonight and I'll have a small salad to go with it.

That's a thing I sometimes mention - if you're going to make a sauce, stew, soup, or whatever that can be done in bulk, make a HUGE pot of it and freeze portions.   You have to do all the work anyway, and it's really little to no additional work to make a lot, than to just make a little and you have one to two dinners.

Even with a one-person, or two-person (as is mine), household why just make one serving?  Make a bunch, store it properly, and you can have it many times with one time of effort.   

This is why, even with my beloved mashed potatoes, I make a huge stockpot full.  Then I portion it out to freeze and vacuum seal.  I have about 8 servings of mashers that I made a while back and I can just pull out either a one-portion bag or a two-portion bag and have mashers without all the work.

Plus, I like variety so for most things (except probably Mexican food), I can't eat the same thing day after day.   But I can go to the freezer and choose one of a number of things that I have made myself, so I know they are good!  Smiley Happy

I agree!!  I'm not a peanut butter & jelly or microwave popcorn type of person....much prefer a real homemade meal and I also like to have options.  My freezer is almost always full of meats ready to be made into something or with the containers of soup, casseroles, etc. that I've already made up.

Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit, but Wisdom is knowing not to put it in a fruit salad.
- Author Unknown
Trusted Contributor

Thank you so much for all the replies!  I have thoroughly enjoyed reading them! Heart

*QVC Community member since 10/24/2006*