Honored Contributor

Re: Can't Anybody Eat Plain Food Now?

I so agree, @Sooner

Real food grown on healthy soil and in healthy surroundings is also the best tasting, and doesn't need a lot of "spicing" or flavor enhancing.

Before my dog died, I was often making meals of poached organic chicken with carrots, celery, spinach, and rice.  I did not even add salt.  It was still the most flavorful chicken we'd had for a long time.

Healthy, real food has healthy, real flavor.

[was Homegirl] Love to be home . . . thus the screen name. Joined 2003.
Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

We eat pretty basic food much of the time. We both grew up on a meat and potatoes diet...although we eat healthier than that now. DH and I like Chinese cooking...which we do together. When we go out, it is usually for  ethnic cuisine or for an occasional good steak. I just don't care for all the pretentious terminology on the menus. It seems that whenever I eat rich food with all those sauces, I end up with a major stomach ache.

A kind gesture can reach a wound that only compassion can heal. ~~ Steve Maraboli
Esteemed Contributor

@Desertdi Thank you for your post. I know another person who eats because he has to. Some of us just don't realize that fact. 

Esteemed Contributor

@Sooner I heartily agree with you about simple food being the best. I have lost 60 pounds on the protocol of don't eat anything that was something else first. In other words, don't eat anything that was "processed" first. The only exceptions have been cheese, yogurt and olive oil. That means eat the whole grain instead of the bread or pasta, eat the whole veggie or fruit instead of juice, etc. My problem has been with trying to cook ethnic foods from countries that rely on carbs more than protein for nutrition. My son has been all over the world and sends me these fantistic dishes, but because I am fairly sedentary, I just can't eat the dish, because I can't work it off. I end up eating a tiny plate.

Trusted Contributor

I was raised on simple foods. I love fresh vegetables, baked or broiled chicken, grilled fish. fruits. I occasionally will have 1 slice of pizza and the little bites of pineapple are quite tasty but a little goes a long way. I thing the food network with shoes like chopped and iron chef has a lot to do with these strange dishes. Although I like to watch, half of the time i do not have a clue about what the ingredients are. 

If eating out for "ethnic" food it is usually an orental dish. , have to have those stir fry vegetables take out sometimes. I can not tolerate a lot of spiciness or heat.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@webbgarner1  We had shrimp stir-fry tonight!  It was simple with red bell peppers, onions, broccoli, and a few pea pods.  We put cashews over it and served Basmati rice with it and it was wonderful!  It was cleaning out the crisper night! 

Trusted Contributor

Oh, that souns soooo good !

Trusted Contributor

@Sooner   oh that souns soooo good !  Bet the shrimp was tasty.

Respected Contributor

I’m guessing those of you saying fresh fruits and vegetables don’t need anything live in warm climates that harvest produce year round. There’s nothing in season in the Midwest right now and most of the produce tastes like it spent days on a truck getting here. It will still be several months til we have decent tomatoes.
Honored Contributor

@Yardlie wrote:

I wish they would just use plain language like they used to. Last summer we went to a restaurant when visiting my husband's family for a funeral. They had paper souvenier menus at the checkout, so I took one: Instead of just saying King Crab and Foie Gras, this is how they described what I had:  King Crab in a creamy white wine lobster and leek reduction with seared goose foie gras deconstructed with locally harvested spinach, foraged morel mushrooms, hickory smoked bacon chips, and the umami kick of licorice root. I wasn't too sure of what I was going to be served...although after I learned how they force feed the geese, I swore I'd never eat foie gras again.

@Yardlie 

It's illegal to serve it in California 👍 

~ house cat ~