Esteemed Contributor

Re: Can't Anybody Eat Plain Food Now?

[ Edited ]

"Plain" food is what I normally make at home but when I go out, I'd rather go somewhere where I can get ethnic food or something that is a lot better than what I make at home.  I all but refuse to eat out at family style restaurants (Bob Evans, Cracker Barrel, etc.).

As for the bacon craze....I like bacon but I don't love it and prefer turkey bacon over the original.

Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit, but Wisdom is knowing not to put it in a fruit salad.
- Author Unknown
Honored Contributor

The way I see plain food as what I was raised on - meat, potatoes and vegetables and yes of course bacon!  All this green eating, vegetables and quiona, strange grains, hummus, etc I find rather odd and weird.  We never had strange salads and broiled/sauteed/baked fish like many eat now for healthy eating!  I like pineapple pizza and find the Ihop pancakes to look really good as well as the many rich gooey and decadent deserts.  While I wouldn't eat them all the time they are great at times.  I don't get anyone complaining about foods others like that they don't?  I say whatever anyone likes and wants to eat is their business though and none of my concern.  

Honored Contributor

I admit to preferring interesting flavor combinations.  I don't think we have the same definition of "plain food" which to me means unseasoned, blah tasting food.

I like simple foods and complex foods, both of which must be seasoned and prepared properly.

Honored Contributor

I’m not a big fan of eating out, but do so occasionally at places where I know I can get plain food cooked the simple way I like it.   

For me, it’s no cheese, fried egg, sautéed mushrooms, or avocado on my burger.  No chipotle ranch, cheese sauce, sriracha sauce, or any sauce with honey.  No beer or whiskey flavored anything.   

Respected Contributor

I like it all, plain and sauced.  My complicated dishes are in the past with less energy to make a production.  Clean-up is another consideration.

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

I like all food and a more than willing to try anything...Everything was new and unusual at one point in history,Iassure you..Growing up inte 1960’s noneofmy friends ate yogurt,.Infact,here in Calif we had Knudsenyogurt and the only flavor was strawberry...very avant garde, LOL!!!!

Just asi would rather “mix” colors in my wardrobe (rather than wear only primary colors) so do I like to “mix up” my food...

a chacon son gout!

Esteemed Contributor

@Sooner,  your title caught my attention because a friend once described my cooking style and preferences as "simple food, simply prepared".

We were talking about the veg we grew in our gardens and how we cooked it. I usually just steam veg and add butter, salt & pepper.

I'd never really thought much about it until she said that. I realized I seldom made the complex dishes my mother routinely prepared for the family.

It seems she cooked all day sometimes and we had some professional cooks on her side of the fam too, so lots of good recipies were handed down.

You mention strawberry shortcake. My mother made us a meal of that, but on fluffy biscuits! 

I like to poach cod or other whitefish.

Heat H2o&OJ (or lemon) to simmering, stir in (not sugarfree) orange marmalade and ginger preserves, then add cod, cover, lower heat, poach. Keep an eye on the sauce, add water if needed.

Serve cod topped with the ginger-orange glaze.

Great with a distinctive green flavor like steamed asparagus or brussels sprouts.  For a real zinger make home grown tomatoes into gazpacho a day or two before. hmmm ... this meal needs a good, crusty bread with gobs of butter, and a very light, cold dessert. Maybe just jello.

ah, geez, im hungry

@Sooner, try pollock baked in a 9x11 pan of milk.

dot top w butter, salt, and pepper, cover w foil.

your home grown corn on the cob, grilled cherry tomatoes, and peppers on the side.

Honored Contributor

@redwingsgal wrote:

I agree with everyone here!  I DO NOT understand the obsession with ranch!!  People use it on everything!!  Do you want everything you eat to taste the same??  

I prefer plain, regular food.  Not a sauce or dipping fan at all.

Glad to know I am not alone!!1

Yes!  Why does everything have to be dipped now?  I do love blue cheese dressing, so might be temped to dip about anything in that--including a clean finger in the privacy of my own home before I get rid of the dip or dressing bowl!  LOL!!!

Honored Contributor

@faeriemoon wrote:

I admit to preferring interesting flavor combinations.  I don't think we have the same definition of "plain food" which to me means unseasoned, blah tasting food.

I like simple foods and complex foods, both of which must be seasoned and prepared properly.

@faeriemoon  I love interesting flavor combinations, but it seems people have just gone over the edge with a mish mash of "flavors."  And usually it's fat and sugar all mashed up and gooped up.  It's almost like the more bizarre the better.   No, I'm not thinking unseasoned blah food at all.

I'd not be surprised to see bubble gum and bacon mac and cheese.  And CHEESE!  Cheap processed cheeses gooped on everything in sight.  Gag.

Maybe I should have said "real" food.  Meat and dairy and veggies and grains and things that fine restaurants would have served last century.  Not the cupcake, and mac and cheese, baby food world we seem to be stuck in now. 

Honored Contributor

I don't care for gussied up food.  I don't like sauces and gravies and weird combination of food.  I eat and cook the way my mom and my nana cooked.  It's true, they do all sorts of things with food now but I can always find food prepared the way I like it.  I love a good meatloaf with mac&cheese.  I like baked chicken with a side salad.  I love Italian food.  I'll never so no to any type of pasta with a tomato sauce.  And meatballs....