Honored Contributor

Re: Can't Anybody Eat Plain Food Now?

@Sooner

I totally agree with your OP.  It's one of the reasons DH and I rarely go out to eat.  I never made a conscious effort to eat healthfully or "clean", but the older we get, the more we do so.  When I think of some of the casseroles and prepared foods I fed my family when my kids were young, I feel guilty.

Our favorites are boneless chicken breasts, broiled fish, though we do eat ground beef once a week.  This is mostly because the richer foods become harder to stomach as we get older, particulary for my husband who has health issues.

My girlfriends and I go to dinner once a month and take turns on choosing the restaurant. I quietly resent it when I have to spend my money on what I call "fussy foods" and things I barely recognize on the menu.  I guess I'm a plain Jane when it comes to food.

~ house cat ~
Honored Contributor

@house_cat

I am originally from Southern California now living in the Pacific Northwest.  We all love to hit the new restaurants and try new tastes.  I like to order items I either could not or would not make at home.  You would really hate going to dinner with us! 

Honored Contributor

@DiAnne

You are probably right about that. Just the words "new tastes" are turn-offs for me, lol.  I like my old tastes!

But I'm sure the company would be good, so if you're in the neighborhood, let me know :-)

~ house cat ~
Valued Contributor

@Sooner  Hope that shrimp was USA wild caught, otherwise it is farm raised - who know where and fed what ever.  I am ever so careful about any seafood or farmed fish (talapia - won't eat that).

Honored Contributor

@Fiero Woman wrote:

@Sooner  Hope that shrimp was USA wild caught, otherwise it is farm raised - who know where and fed what ever.  I am ever so careful about any seafood or farmed fish (talapia - won't eat that).

I only buy USA wild caught and processed seafood.  Except some sardines from Portugal, Scotland or Ecuador and have bought a few from Spain. I order wild caught and USA processed salmon from Alaska.  I especially don't buy any Asian caught or processed seafoon.  No matter how hard I have to look!

Honored Contributor

@DiAnne wrote:

@house_cat

I am originally from Southern California now living in the Pacific Northwest.  We all love to hit the new restaurants and try new tastes.  I like to order items I either could not or would not make at home.  You would really hate going to dinner with us! 

@DiAnne.  We're with you. Love to try out new restaurants and eat out frequently! 

Valued Contributor

What you all might call plain food was not plain food for us when I grew up.  Wild greens of every kind, venison, rabbit, rainbow trout, a garden full of vegetables.  Pickled beans and corn.  Oysters everytime we could get them (when in season)..  Ramps, wild mushroom we foraged ourselves, tastes like Oysters if you get the right ones.   Wild grape and gooseberry jam. Berries of every kind.   Barrels full of pickels, both sweet and sour.  Dried green beans on strings. Canned everything from the garden - we knew wht was in it.   Yep, raised in West Virginia.  I am in Florida, lived in Europe over 13 years and loved ll and the food.  I would find simple/plain food boring.  What is plain food?  That food I grew up on was never plain but very healthy..

Valued Contributor

@Sooner  Reason I said, because when we returned from Europe I was buying shrimp hand over foot, never realizing what I was feeding my family.  After a few years went by, I realized the difference.  I can honestly say when we lived in Kentucky, you buy what there was available. Sometimes nothing.   In Florida, we have a choice. Happy thoughts,  .   

Esteemed Contributor

@proudlyfromNJ wrote:

@DiAnne wrote:

@house_cat

@DiAnne.  We're with you. Love to try out new restaurants and eat out frequently! 

Me too!  I love trying out new restaurants.  

I like plain food, but I like more elaborate food too.  Simple broiled salmon with a baked potato, veggies, and a salad has always been my favorite meal.  I eat plain food a lot of the time, but I also love food that is more complex.  I really enjoy going out to different restaurants, eating ethnic food, and trying things I haven't had before.  Sometimes food combinations that sound unusual are very creative and quite delicious!

I don't order something just because it's trendy.  It has to appeal to me.  My best friend and I have completely opposite taste in nearly everything (men, food, everything!), so very often something that I love is not appealing to her at all.  And vice versa.  One person's dream meal can be another's nightmare.  I see food preparation and experimenting with recipes as an art, and I enjoy exploring.

I don't think most of us ate healthier when we were kids.  For sure I eat far healthier now, with more emphasis on fish and veggies and yogurt and salads rather than meat and potatoes and dessert and tons of carbs and fat.   

P.S.  I like pineapple on my pizza.  There's nothing like a slice of plain NYC pizza.  I love that!  But occasionally I want a topping, and pineapple is one that I enjoy.