Honored Contributor

Can a graham cracker crust be baked?

Can those store bought graham cracker crusts that I have in my pantry be baked?  I was thinking of making a quick pumpkin pie for DH and myself, but really don't feel like fussing with pie crust today.

~ house cat ~
Respected Contributor

Re: Can a graham cracker crust be baked?

@house_cat   Yes, I believe so.  I use a graham cracker crust for my cheesecakes, so I'm sure you can use it for a pumpkin pie. 

......You look like I need a drink.....
Honored Contributor

@CAcableGirl2 

Duh!  So do I! Why didn't I think of that?  I bake my cheesecakes in a water bath, but I don't think it will make much of a difference.  Thanks for hitting me upside the head with that response!

~ house cat ~
Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

@house_cat wrote:

Can those store bought graham cracker crusts that I have in my pantry be baked?  I was thinking of making a quick pumpkin pie for DH and myself, but really don't feel like fussing with pie crust today.

Yes, you can. Speaking of which, I tried a new dessert recipe for Thanksgiving, Pumpkin Cheesecake Bars. Rather than use a crushed graham cracker crust, I crushed ginger snaps. They came out perfectly, and requests were made to bake them again. 🙂

“The soul is healed by being with children.”
— Fyodor Dostoyevsky
Honored Contributor

@house_cat wrote:

I crush graham crackers right from the box and add some butter and bake themSmiley Happy

Respected Contributor

@mom2four0418  Years ago I had a pumpkin pie that used ginger snaps for the crust.  Everytime I baked that pie, the crust burned - tried all the tricks I knew. I just gave up and threw out the recipe. 

Honored Contributor

@mom2four0418 

I saw that recipe, or a similar one, in a publication recently and almost made it.  I'm glad they turned out well. I think I'll save it and try it next year.

@cindyNC 

The crust got a little dark at the top, but not burned. I did use a silicone crust cover while baking it.

Screen Shot 2021-11-27 at 4.40.08 PM.png

~ house cat ~
Honored Contributor

Not sure you need to bake it---have never baked a store bought one before, just the ones I made.