Respected Contributor

Re: Can You Name A Fav Dessert You Haven't Had in Years???

@Goodie2shoes wrote:

@ECBG  wrote: I make the orgional banana pudding every year for Father's Day.  I double it and it almost fills a 4 qt. corningware casserole.

I make the "Not yo mommas bananna pudding" now. It's Paula Deens recipe made with cream cheese, instant french vanilla pudding, condensed milk, chessman cookies and  bananas of course. I used to take it to our work pot luck lunches before I retired and it was a favorite dessert. My coworkers would always tell me to bring it and they would line up to get their share. There was never any leftovers

@Goodie2shoes :  I also make Paula Deen's not yo mommas banana pudding" and it is to die for.  My mother make the original banana pudding and she was a great cook, but give me Paula Deen's any day.    Not a drop left in the pan after a party.

Honored Contributor

Pecan pie

Esteemed Contributor

@ECBG wrote:

@shoptilyadropagain wrote:

Sugar Cream Pie is a Hoosier (Indiana) thing but my mom's recipe calls for mostly brown sugar instead of white.  I haven't had her sugar cream pie in years.  I do have the recipe though.  

@shoptilyadropagain 

If you don't mind, could you please share the recipe?  I have never seen that title in any cookbook.  Many thanks!

@house_cat You cook a lot, do you know of this pie? I know you bake a lot. Very interesting!Smiley Happy

@ECBG....I'll look for it tonight and, hopefully, will get it posted tomorrow.

Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit, but Wisdom is knowing not to put it in a fruit salad.
- Author Unknown
Honored Contributor

I have not made this Amish sugar cream pie but I did save it to my pie board on pinterest, it looked so good/  South Your Mouth is the blogger who posted the recipe and photos.

https://www.southyourmouth.com/2015/01/sugar-cream-pie.html?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=email&u...)

Sugar Cream Pie | An Amish-style recipe for Sugar Cream Pie, with simple ingredients like sugar and cream, baked into a creamy, caramelized, luxurious dessert. #amish #pie #sugarcream

"Live frugally, but love extravagantly."
Honored Contributor

@Sooner wrote:

Watermelon. 

What a memory! The house where we grew up had a retaining wall, so the driveway and most of the backyard was level. The retaining wall was about 8 feet above the yard next to the driveway.

If we had watermelon for dessert, we were allowed to eat the watermelon sitting on the edge of the retaining wall. And we could spit the seeds onto the yard below. 

It was about the most fun playing with food that we were allowed.

Honored Contributor

Something that my high school French teacher introduced to a small group of students who came to her apartment for dinner.

She had perfect fresh strawberries in one bowl; sour cream in another; brown sugar on a plate.

We dipped the fresh berries in sour cream, then rolled them in the brown sugar.

It was one of those life-changing moments.

~My philosophy: Dogs are God's most perfect creatures. Angels, here on Earth, who teach us to be better human beings.~
Honored Contributor

Lemon meringue pie.  My mother used to make it but I've never tried.

Esteemed Contributor

@ECBG I have the 1955 version Of Betty Crocker's cookbook and I have made the coconut cake and 7 min frosting many times when the children were home!

It is wonderful.

Valued Contributor

My sons would say their late grandmother's chocolate cake with sickening sweet white icing.  That's exactly how they discribe it.  They still talk about it. 

Respected Contributor

@proudlyfromNJ wrote:

Crème Brûlée or Bread Pudding.

@proudlyfromNJ 

I made a bread pudding for  the New Year, and used challah  for the bread and egg nog instead of the milk  in the recipe. It was delish.