Honored Contributor

Can I use sour cream in place of creme fraiche in a strogonoff recipe?

I found a recipe that has 133 five star reviews, but it calls for creme fraiche.

Can I substitute sour cream?

Thank you.

~ house cat ~
Esteemed Contributor

Re: Can I use sour cream in place of creme fraiche in a strogonoff recipe?

I wouldn't hesitate to try it. However, there is a difference in consistancy (amount of water in the product) and taste.

Contributor

You can but a better approximation of creme fraiche is sour cream plus whipped cream. Creme fraiche is a blend of sour and sweet. I would say 80/20 -- sour cream to whipped cream. If you don't have fresh cream to whip, I am sure it will still be delicious. Send some stroganoff over to me, too! One of my faves. :-)
Honored Contributor

Thank you for your prompt responses. I would buy the creme fraiche, but I have a container of sour cream that is likely to go bad if I don't use it. I do also have heavy cream on hand. I'll have to google what ration to use.

~ house cat ~
Honored Contributor

just add the sour cream when the pan is off the heat

Respected Contributor

Stroganoff I think actually is made with sour cream! About 40 yrs ago as a new bride I made Beef Strogonoff to impress my new husband. It was only made with sour cream! You may want to search on line for stroganoff receipes and you will see how sour cream is usedfor it.
Honored Contributor

On 12/30/2014 house_cat said:

Thank you for your prompt responses. I would buy the creme fraiche, but I have a container of sour cream that is likely to go bad if I don't use it. I do also have heavy cream on hand. I'll have to google what ration to use.

I don't use sour cream much but have wondered how you know when it goes bad.

Trusted Contributor

Someone in a gourmet cheese department told me to use yogurt as an affordable substitute for crème fraiche.

I make a variety of stroganoff recipes and they all use sour cream. I guess that's the new spin on stroganoff by the gourmet chefs.

Honored Contributor

A friend gave me an original recipe from Russia and it uses sour cream. It is a very simple dish to make--put the cream in at the end off the heat as I remember. I haven't thought about it in years, but made it for a party a couple of times.

Honored Contributor

Just make sure your sour crème is fraiche! {#emotions_dlg.laugh}