Respected Contributor

Re: Can I still eat a rotisserie chicken that has been in the fridge for a week?

[ Edited ]

@colliegirls wrote:

@colliegirls where can I get the animated emoji??? I love it.  

Honored Contributor

Re: Can I still eat a rotisserie chicken that has been in the fridge for a week?

I'm usually one here who scoffs at people freaking out about expiration dates, but this is meat, it has been cooked at least once already, and you don't really know just how long they were thawed before the store cooked them.

I'd definitely use it up or freeze the leftovers within a couple or three days, or dump it.

Honored Contributor

I'm the odd man out! The OP said she was going to use this chicken in soup. I certainly would use it for soup! Its going to be cooked again. I'd have a hard time throwing away perfect good rotisserie chicken. I've never gotten sick yet in the 61 years I've been on this earth.

"Pure Michigan"
Valued Contributor

just wanted to add my thought.  Throwing it out and buying another is cheaper than a trip to the ER from food poisoning

cookin

Honored Contributor

I will readily admit to being one who pushes beyond expiration dates as much as possible.  No qualms whatsoever about using milk, cottage cheese, cream cheese, or yogurt beyond the date, and I will use canned stuff a year after the date.   However, I would seriously question the chicken enough to not eat it.  I have had food poisoning from restaurants twice and agree that it is cheaper to just buy another chicken.   

Esteemed Contributor

I'd break up the meat and marinade it in tomato sauce (even canned stuff) for a few minutes- that'll kill bacteria [if there is any]....

Trusted Contributor

Why are you trying to save this bird?  It cost all of about $5 bucks? 

Esteemed Contributor

@cookinfreak wrote:

just wanted to add my thought.  Throwing it out and buying another is cheaper than a trip to the ER from food poisoning

cookin

Let me put it ths way....I have had food poisoning and it is not worth it!! When in doubt...THROW IT OUT.....

Respected Contributor

no no no!  it is too old, these chix are meant to buy and eat same day.

someone who worked in a grocery store told me they cook these chix because they go off code and cn no longer sell them by the use by date

Esteemed Contributor

Why would you risk getting sick for 5 bucks? My daughter took a food sanitation course in college. She learned that 90% of the time a stomach bug is really food poisoning. My mother used to save food too long and did not store it properly. I got sick frequently. My motto is when in doubt, throw it out.