Esteemed Contributor

Re: Can I still eat a rotisserie chicken that has been in the fridge for a week?

@ashleigh dupray wrote:

no no no!  it is too old, these chix are meant to buy and eat same day.

someone who worked in a grocery store told me they cook these chix because they go off code and cn no longer sell them by the use by date

Wow, I never thought of that. Forget my 'tomato sauce' suggestion above!! 

Honored Contributor

Re: Can I still eat a rotisserie chicken that has been in the fridge for a week?

@RedTop wrote:

I will readily admit to being one who pushes beyond expiration dates as much as possible.  No qualms whatsoever about using milk, cottage cheese, cream cheese, or yogurt beyond the date, and I will use canned stuff a year after the date.   However, I would seriously question the chicken enough to not eat it.  I have had food poisoning from restaurants twice and agree that it is cheaper to just buy another chicken.   

We have eaten week old chicken.  As long as it smells good, it is okay.

Respected Contributor

Did I actually read correctly on this thread some advice to soak week-old chicken that has been cooked, warmed, cooled and stored in tomato for a few minutes to kill any chance of food poisoning? One of the biggest botulism scares in history occurred years ago involving a canned tomato product. Have never heard that tomatoes (canned or fresh) have some sort of disinfectant or food-preservative properties. More information can be found below and many other places on this subject: http://blog.foodnetwork.com/healthyeats/2010/08/17/canned-tomatoes-good-or-bad/
Respected Contributor

I know lot's of people that would eat it, my son for sure.

I'm phobic tho if I don't eat anything on the third day it gets tossed the next morning.

~~
*Off The Deep End~A very short trip for some!*
Honored Contributor

I addition to the safety issue, I would think the overall quality of the week old chicken would be enough to give me my answer.  Yes, it may still be edible, but I wouldn't think it would be a tasty product after that length of time.   

Super Contributor

I don't think the OP has been back since she posted.  I wonder what she ended up doing.

NickNack1
(formerly NickNack)
Respected Contributor

@NickNack1 wrote:

I don't think the OP has been back since she posted.  I wonder what she ended up doing.

Maybe she ate the chicken and that's why she hasn't been back!

Trusted Contributor

I am the OP. I cut it up and gave it to the dogs mixed in with their dry dog food. Appreciate all your replies!