Super Contributor

Can I put my grill grates into my self-cleaning oven for cleaning?

My gas grill grate is beyond scrubbing.

I was thinking of putting them inside my oven and using the "clean" setting.

Does anyone know why I wouldn't want to do this?

New Contributor

Re: Can I put my grill grates into my self-cleaning oven for cleaning?

Don't know but....

Did you happen to see the presentation of a grill/oven cleaner recently? I think Mary Beth Roe was the host. It had Magic or Miracle in the name, maybe. It was a pillowcase size pouch that you put the grill into, left overnight and it was sparkling clean. I cannot find it; CS cannot find it. I need it desperately.

It would work for you also.

Esteemed Contributor

You might get a black film and/or smoke around the oven. I didn't even think my oven was dirty and I have white cabinets in my kitchen that got a film on them from cleaning my oven.

I saw something  on Pinterest about putting the grates in a trash bag with some ammonia overnight and the gunk wipes right off........try googling it...might work out better for you...Good Luck!

Respected Contributor

My self-cleaning oven instructions say to take the rakes out of the oven before cleaning.  I don't know why but sometimes I do it and sometimes not.  It's worth a try....

Respected Contributor

In the Summer I put mine in a heavy duty plastic bag, pour in some ammonia, seal up, let sit in the sun all day then rinse off, works pretty good

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

My self cleaning oven instructions said the racks could be left in the oven during the cleaning cycle, but they would end up somewhat discolored and the surface would be roughened (they would no longer slide easily). I imagine the results would be similar with grill grates.

I found a product online that might work (and might be the product someone else was referring to):

http://www.lowes.com/pd_621553-48258-320_0__?k_clickID=16313308-0b1b-4015-a516-6664c6dfd6fd&store_co...

Honored Contributor

DH cleans ours outside with oven cleaner. Spray them with the cleaner & let them set. He uses a large rubbermaid container with water in it to finish cleaning them.

Honored Contributor

I am going to say no to this idea, because the grill grates will absorb a tremendous amount of heat in the cleaning process, and will most likely damage your oven racks, if that is what they are laying on inside the oven.   As has been suggested, I would put them inside a trash bag, spray with oven cleaner, tie the bag, and let sit outside overnight.  Then rinse clean with a garden hose.   

Trusted Contributor

When my grill grate gets too gross, I just buy a new grate. There are universal fit ones for 20 bucks around in Walmart/target/Tru Value/Lowes, etc....Depending on where you live they would be in the stores year round. In snowy areas, they will come out when the spring stuff begins to emerge.

If you want an exact match your grill brand, you can get them just by googling your brand grill + grill grate and find the best price.

I find the universal fit ones work just fine.

Way easier than trying to make a gross grill clean again. For ME, I would rather just get a new one. Call me lazy Smiley Happy

If you do want to clean,. I agree with the ammonia in a trash bag. Lay it flat for 24 hours and it cleans up OK. A bit messy because all the gunk turns to sludge and you wipe it down. Also need to do this outside because of the fumes.

I would not use your self clean oven. It will wreck the grate.

Honored Contributor

I'd say no since you have to pull your oven racks out on self-cleaning ovens I have.