Respected Contributor

Re: Can I brag about my Vitamix?

I have a Vitamix and should use it more. I have a bunch of autoimmune inflammatory diseases. But because of surgery fifty years ago for Crohn's (in remission) I can't have real dark greens. I have to avoid anything with high oxalate levels and I cheat with one cup of coffee a day.

All the healthy smoothies seem to start with dark greens. Any suggestions for one without. I use Greek Yogurt and organic milk and can have most fruits and veggies.

I'm on two meds that cause weight gain so I'm trying to eat carefully. I only use antibiotic free organic chicken and meat and try to use an many organic fruits and veggies as possible. In the winter they do cost a fortune.

Also, I've never attempted soup. Where can I find good recipes for soup?

Honored Contributor

Oh and P.S.----my Vitamix was bought in 1980 and is still going strong!! My mom bought it brand new and now I have it.

Respected Contributor

I take turmeric capsules from Andrew Lessman. I have no idea if they help. My other supplements are prescribed. I do get them all from Andrew.

Honored Contributor

On 3/9/2015 lavendar said:

I take turmeric capsules from Andrew Lessman. I have no idea if they help. My other supplements are prescribed. I do get them all from Andrew.

Hi lavendar--I have found that organic turmeric that you use in cooking, the powder form, helps me better than the capsule form. Don't know why but it does. I put it in my hot choc in the a.m. with just a bit of fresh ground black pepper as that is turmerics best friend. Tried both kinds, the powder and the caps for about a week each, and was amazed at how much better I felt with the powder after just a week. I also have a night time drink that I make that helps me sleep too, with the turmeric. I use fresh turmeric in that.

Trusted Contributor

I can get fresh Turmeric at the local Co-op. It looks like ginger, but has a deeper orangey color. It WILL stain. It has stained my VM pitcher. If you use a lot in your recipe-it will stain the plastic container that you store it in. Penzey's sells a really good ground Turmeric, if you don't want to grind it yourself.

I use a lot of Turmeric, and Ginger. Celery stalks are also a good anti-inflammatory, but will strongly flavor a smoothie. I have to watch my budget-so, many of my ingredients are inexpensive. The organic milk is probably the priciest thing on my shopping list.

I LOVE to hear about how people are using their VM to manage their health. Good health to all of you!

Trusted Contributor

On 3/9/2015 lavendar said:

I have a Vitamix and should use it more. I have a bunch of autoimmune inflammatory diseases. But because of surgery fifty years ago for Crohn's (in remission) I can't have real dark greens. I have to avoid anything with high oxalate levels and I cheat with one cup of coffee a day.

All the healthy smoothies seem to start with dark greens. Any suggestions for one without. I use Greek Yogurt and organic milk and can have most fruits and veggies.

I'm on two meds that cause weight gain so I'm trying to eat carefully. I only use antibiotic free organic chicken and meat and try to use an many organic fruits and veggies as possible. In the winter they do cost a fortune.

Also, I've never attempted soup. Where can I find good recipes for soup?

Lavendar, I would google up a list of low oxalate fruits and veggies. I think you can make a nice green smoothie with romaine lettuce, cucumbers and apples, for example. Fennel bulb? Can you eat pumpkin? A smoothie with Greek yogurt, pumpkin puree and pumpkin pie spice is yummy.

To the OP: I think it is exciting that you will be entering a study at your oncologist's office. Continued best wishes to you and everyone - it would be so wonderful if we could pinpoint the right foods to eat and avoid in the never ending combat against cancer.

Super Contributor

I dropped a spoon into my container by accident and instead of getting a new container I got the Waring raptor version and that was the best thing I could have done for my Vitamix. Now I am able to make ice cream without the pusher and it is even faster than using the VM container with the pusher.

Respected Contributor

Pilates: the green veggies you mentioned do taste good but aren't worth a smoothie for nutrition. I'm better off eating them raw, which I do. It's the dark greens, which I really can't have (unless I want kidney stones) are the really healthy ones.

I do make pumpkin smoothies but have to use brown sugar or honey to make them palatable so I think of them more of a treat. I have all the great spices I put in them. I buy them in the farmer's market. I could try Stevia; I keep forgetting about it because I rarely use an artificial sweetener.

Respected Contributor

wagirl: I use turmeric in cooking also but just can't get enough. I get it at Penzey's, which is a few miles from me.

I'll try adding it to coffee and hot chocolate. I usually add cinnamon, another good spice. I like to stick whole cinnamon sticks in both.

OP: Wonderful to hear of your good health. I've not had cancer but have had to be very proactive about my health. It's not easy when one is fatigued and frightened.

Honored Contributor

On 3/9/2015 lacey1 said:

I can get fresh Turmeric at the local Co-op. It looks like ginger, but has a deeper orangey color. It WILL stain. It has stained my VM pitcher. If you use a lot in your recipe-it will stain the plastic container that you store it in. Penzey's sells a really good ground Turmeric, if you don't want to grind it yourself.

I use a lot of Turmeric, and Ginger. Celery stalks are also a good anti-inflammatory, but will strongly flavor a smoothie. I have to watch my budget-so, many of my ingredients are inexpensive. The organic milk is probably the priciest thing on my shopping list.

I LOVE to hear about how people are using their VM to manage their health. Good health to all of you!

Yes the fresh turmeric does stain however my VM canister is stainless steel so I don't need to worry about that. Good to know about Penzeys---don't have a store near me so will look online.