Respected Contributor

Can Cilantro Be Frozen Successfully?

Has anyone ever frozen cilantro and used at a later date for salsa? Just wondering from more experienced cooks.

Thanks!

Honored Contributor

Re: Can Cilantro Be Frozen Successfully?

You can freeze cilantro, but the texture will be different when you go to use it. It's not going to be that fresh leaf texture. Think of what happens when leaves get snowed on and freeze outside, and then thaw. They are wet, soft, and wilted. That's what's going to happen with your cilantro. Your cilantro may still have the flavor, but I think it would be more suitable in a cooked dish than a fresh salsa.

Occasional Contributor

I freeze all my leafy herbs in ice cube trays. For long stems I put them in ziploc bags filled with a little water then freeze. Works like a charm. I saw a tip that suggested using the cylinder sryle of ice cube trays for fresh stems...I may try that one too. Happy cooking.
Honored Contributor

i dry and or freeze cilantro for dishes but NOT for salsa/pico de gallo.....i find fresh is better when making those fresh condiments.

"The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing." - Albert Einstein
Highlighted
Respected Contributor

Thank you!

Honored Contributor

On 1/4/2015 zivathediva said: I freeze all my leafy herbs in ice cube trays. For long stems I put them in ziploc bags filled with a little water then freeze. Works like a charm. I saw a tip that suggested using the cylinder sryle of ice cube trays for fresh stems...I may try that one too. Happy cooking.

Interesting! So, does freezing them in water/ice allow them to maintain their fresh texture?

Frequent Contributor

I have not tried cilantro , however , I have prepared fresh fish and also fresh abalone this way. I simply put them into a tray with water, froze them, then put them into baggies.

I can say from experience , by using this method , the fish taste fresh caught.

When my late husband was young, he used to dive for abalone,we put the abalone into empty quart milk containers, filled with water and froze it until needed..

Joanne

Honored Contributor

On 1/4/2015 MUNCHIE said:

I have not tried cilantro , however , I have prepared fresh fish and also fresh abalone this way. I simply put them into a tray with water, froze them, then put them into baggies.

I can say from experience , by using this method , the fish taste fresh caught.

When my late husband was young, he used to dive for abalone,we put the abalone into empty quart milk containers, filled with water and froze it until needed..

Joanne

Abalone! *drool* I miss it so much. I've probably eaten my weight in abalone over the decades but haven't had the pleasure since getting away from diving and dive trips. There is NOTHING better to eat than abalone.

Super Contributor

I grind fresh kale in my food processor and freeze it in zip lock bags. Thaw what I need as I need it. Tastes wonderful. I am sure cilantro could be prepared the same way.
Respected Contributor

On 1/4/2015 chickenbutt said:
On 1/4/2015 zivathediva said: I freeze all my leafy herbs in ice cube trays. For long stems I put them in ziploc bags filled with a little water then freeze. Works like a charm. I saw a tip that suggested using the cylinder sryle of ice cube trays for fresh stems...I may try that one too. Happy cooking.

Interesting! So, does freezing them in water/ice allow them to maintain their fresh texture?

Not exactly but close. It's better that way than any other I've tried. I generally chop it up and freeze it in silicone cup cake forms. I only fill it half full and then after it freezes I top it off so the cilantro is covered.

~~
*Off The Deep End~A very short trip for some!*