Respected Contributor

Can Anyone Share There Favorite Italian Meatball Recipe?

I have tried so many Italian meatball recipes and they come out either to dry or  just tasteless and I do put in  seasonings.Anyone have a recipe they would like to share? Thanks.

Honored Contributor

Re: Can Anyone Share There Favorite Italian Meatball Recipe?

Kirkland brand, frozen food isle at Costco. I gave up making meatballs years ago. Only buy frozen now. Woman Happy

"Pure Michigan"
Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

Here's mine, but I won't put in any ratios. These are always tender and very good!

Ground chuck

salt, pepper, red pepper flakes, sweet basil, minced garlic

chopped onion & celery

fresh chopped flat-leaf parsley

1 egg

parmesan cheese

sprinkle of bread crumbs -- Italian or Panko -- (if you use too much, the meatballs get tough)

heavy cream (which helps to hold together & mellows everything out)

Don't overmix. And don't brown beforehand.

These are the "secrets."

Contributor

I am vegetarian, but I make Rocco Dispirto Mama's Meatball recipe for my Italian husband.  He claims they are better than meatballs made by his Italian mother and grandmother. 

I throw the ingredient (ALL EXCEPT THE MEAT) in a food processor for easy prep.  Do not overmix when you add the liquid to the meat.  I use homemade chicken stock in a more concentrated form and add a bit extra red pepper.  Also, I omit the veal and use 1/3 pork and 2/3 beef.  A handy ice cream style scoop, will make all the meatballs the same size.  Cook (saute) in EVOO.

Usually, I double the recipe and freeze the meatballs in freezer containers, make homemade sauce, (an easy one is Carla Snyder's marinara sauce) and I cook up rigatoni (do not overcook) placing in freezer bags with a little EVOO (toss around to coat the pasta).  All freeze well and it makes for many easy instant meals for my spouse.

Honored Contributor

meatball mix . which is 3 different meats beef pork lamb . usually

tastes different

i use bread crumbs, some italian seasoning not too much, egg ,  some parm cheese

Frequent Contributor

Harpa, so you drop them into pot of sauce to cook? How long does that take? TIA, Mary

Honored Contributor

@cuddlesmama  I don't have a written down recipe but this is pretty much what my grandmother from Italy and my mother did.  They used beef, veal and pork but I don't use the veal.  I use half a pound of ground pork - could be sausage for each pound of beef and about 30 slices of ground pepperoni.  To that I add 1 large egg for about each pound of meat.  I use a lot of Italian seasoning and garlic salt then add about a cup of spaghetti sauce.  Then I add enough seasoned bread crumbs to make the mixture firm but still moist.  I usually bake mine (400 for about 25 minutes) but you can pan cook them also.  I often add some fresh grated parmisan cheese for added flavor.

I always make a lot and freeze the meatballs after baking.

Valued Contributor

I use Fabio Viviani  "Moms Meatballs" recipe. The only different thing I do is add a second egg white or whole egg as I cook them in sauce in my slow cooker and they seem to hold together a bit more. (and the leanest ground beef I can find)

1 lb. ground beef
4 oz. whole milk ricotta cheese
1 cup Parmigiano-Reggiano cheese, grated
1 cup panko breadcrumbs
1 egg
2 cloves garlic, minced
2 shallots, minced
1 tbsp. olive oil
Salt and pepper

• Coat your hands in olive oil, and form balls slightly bigger than a golf ball.
  • Heat the tomato sauce in a saucepan over medium heat, then drop the meatballs into the sauce and add enough water to allow the sauce to reduce and simmer but not so much that the sauce is totally liquid. Cook for about 10 minutes on one side, then turn the meatballs over, add some more water, and cook for another 10 minutes, using a spoon to cover the meatballs with the sauce as they simmer. Remove from heat and let rest for 5 minutes.
  • Serve with chopped parsley, salt and pepper, more Parmigianino- Reggiano, and a drizzle of extra-virgin olive oil, of course!

Respected Contributor

Welsley Farms Italian meatballs at BJ’s. I used to make my own with ground pork and veal until I came across these. They’re not quite as good as my homemade meatballs, but they’re fully cooked and you just have to drop them into a pot of simmering spaghetti sauce. The convenience is worth it, especially when I was working.

Esteemed Contributor

@cuddlesmama : regardless of what recipe you use, you must not skimp on the quality and quantity of the cheese.

I like recipes by Tony Danza and Lidia B. I cook the meatballs as Lidia does- right in the simmering sauce. No frying or baking beforehand. I like meatballs tender, not firm or crisp on the outside.