Honored Contributor

Re: Campbell's "healthy request" bean with bacon soup

@Judaline wrote:

Healthy? Are they kidding? I was in a hurry tonite and picked up 2 cans of this soup, seeing the healthy on the label-didn't have time to read the ingredients. Here's what I saw when I got home:

Ingredients: Water, Pea Beans, Tomato Puree (Water, Tomato Paste), Bacon (Cured With Water, Salt, Sugar, Sodium Phosphate, Sodium Erythorbate, Sodium Nitrite), Carrots, Contains Less Than 2% Of: Modified Food Starch, Navy Bean Powder, Sugar, Potassium Chloride, Salt, Flavoring, Dehydrated Onions, Yeast Extract, Pork, Pork Fat, Lower Sodium Natural Sea Salt, Soybean Oil, Wheat Starch, Natural Smoke Flavoring, Beef Extract, Disodium Inosinate, Disodium Guanylate, Lactic Acid, Citric Acid, Spice.

Adding insult to injury they list that the ingredients come from GMO crops. I could not believe with those chemical preservatives they call this healthy. I tried to write to Campbell's but they are pretty sly in not listing an email address. I wouldn't waste my time calling them. While perusing their website I saw that they are affiliated with Martha Stewart Living. Evidently their soups are in her recipes. 

@Judaline  I used to love this soup, but now I make my own soups, now that is healthy.  I make enough for the freezer for many meals, so it is worth the effort.

Honored Contributor

@froggy wrote:

@sidsmom wrote:

Saying ‘...most of America can’t afford’ to eat certain foods

is a cop out & justification to eat icky, cr.apy food.

Beans, rice, potatoes are some of the cheapest whole foods

on the planet.  

It’s a choice. 

Agreed, beans, rice and potatoes are cheap and healthy. We eat lots of those and congratilate ourselves on how far we can make a ham go and how many days we can eat on one pot of vegetable soup. But many of the food nazis insist on "organic" produce and eschew red meat. And it is very expensive to buy produce, even non-organic, in quantity. Sometimes I am aghast at the price when I stock up on salad makings and fresh fruit. I bake almost everything from scratch but it is time comsuming.

Produce is not expensive.

Walmart has frozen conventional vegetables for $1 a pound.

Honored Contributor

Ok, let me put a lid on this topic I started. I never eat canned soup. Circumstances called for me to run out and get something fast. I remember DH loves Campbell's bean soup from the past. How I wish I'd just stuck with the original. Yes, I usually make my own, but some recipes call for cr of mush or cr of chix soup, so I buy Pacifica. Kroger now has both in cans in their Simple Truth brand. No ****** in them, they're good and they're cheap. I will use those for those recipes. And while I'm at it and taking all this abuse, who puts high fructose corn syrup in their tomato soup?? Campbell's. Try Trader Joe's. No ******, just good soup (in a box). You know what they say, 'Pay the farmer now or pay the doctor later.' Meaning, pay a little more to eat good stuff, and maybe later on you won't need a doctor. Just sayin'. You don't need to thank me.Smiley Very Happy

Honored Contributor

@sidsmom wrote:

Saying ‘...most of America can’t afford’ to eat certain foods

is a cop out & justification to eat icky, cr.apy food.

Beans, rice, potatoes are some of the cheapest whole foods

on the planet.  

It’s a choice. 

@sidsmom  Yes, but it's like saying being poor is a choice because in reality it is. Technically it is but reality is you don't know any other way to live, you don't have education or clothes to get a good job and you've got to simply make it through that day.  Lots and lots of people live that way.  Their choice is simply making a living.  And that's their only choice.

But you have to know how to eat, what to eat, have themoney to buy it and the time and energy to cook it.  You fridge may not work well, you probably don't have a lot of conveniences or a great place to prepare and cook food.

You may a have a house full of kids, laundry stacked up to take to the laundromat, and a night job to go to.  You open a can of soup and make a sandwich for the kids rather than prep salad greens, peel potatoes for soup, or whip up something that needs to cook 30 minutes with dishes to clean up and pots and pans to wash.

Lots of people have making it through the day as a way higher priority than healthy eathing.  They're just trying to make it through the day and have enough left at the end of the month for rent.  

This country pays way too much attention and sympathy for people who COULD work, and far too little to people who are barely making it because they really don't have a choice.   Off soap box now. 

Honored Contributor

@Sooner

I stand by my words.

Eating beans, rice, potatoes are some the cheapest, 

(and I add...least time consuming to make), foods on the planet.

It’s all a choice. 

Pay now or pay later.

Respected Contributor

Had a coupon for a free one last winter, so I tried the cream of celery.  Was sooo thirsty the rest of the evening, must've drank a quart of water !!!!

Valued Contributor

@Kachina624,  mine too! When I was pregnant with first son, I often ate it out of the can..my co-workers (was in WV) brought me in homemade bean soup, nope had to be Campbell’s! I have a can in my pantry right now!  

Respected Contributor

If someone is recovering from an illness, particularly an intestinal virus or something that has caused  dehydration, loss of appetite,  and even a depleted sodium level in their body, a can of Campbell's or Progresso chicken with rice or chicken noodle soup can be easy on the stomach, provide some energy and  help the person get back to a regular diet.