Respected Contributor

$80 for a cake?   I just don't get it.

Frequent Contributor

Crazy.  I wonder how many they sold.  

Honored Contributor

@bargainsgirl wrote:

@bargainsgirl , It's a lot of $, but truthfully if I were making and shipping a cake it would seem reasonable.

" You are entitled to your opinion. But you are not entitled to your own facts."
Daniel Patrick Moynihan
Trusted Contributor

@bargainsgirl I have many times purchased cakes for $50+. Now, if I was to ship it by 2-day delivery across country, I'm sure it would cost an additional $30. So yes, I get it. Some people just don't want to bake or even go get a delicious cake. Others, like myself, purchase food items as gifts to deliver to family living far away. I am glad it is offered for people that want it. If they didn't sell they would not have them offered.  

I think many people on these boards that post about the high prices of food don't take in account that to deliver with dry ice, in a cooler type package, across country, THAT is where the huge expense is. For some people it's worth it. 

Respected Contributor

I just checked the website for the bakery in my neighborhood to see what they have for Easter.  A 10 inch cake that will serve 16-18 is $75.  For this price, you can choose vanilla or chocolate cake and vanilla buttercream filling and frosting.  There is an upcharge for any other flavor cake or filling.  Changing to a different flavor and upgrading to a fruit filling push the price to $90.  The cake is frosted in yellow and decorated to look like a marshmallow peep.  It's cute, but not elaborate.  If I was going to have DoorDash deliver this cake, because the bakery is open the same hours I work and the parking lot in unnecessarily narrow, that will easily add another $20 to $25 depending on how generously I tip.

$80 for a cake that serves that many delivered to my house doesn't sound so bad.

Honored Contributor

@bargainsgirl wrote:

@bargainsgirl   You may not get it but somebody else most assuredly will.  Never fear. 

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Honored Contributor

My town bakery makes beautiful, professional cakes.  There's always a waiting line to purchase.  Two weeks ago, while my mother was visiting, I purchased their raspberry buttercream cake, 12" serving 20 people, for $76.75.  She wanted to take slices back home to family and friends, and did.  

Honored Contributor

Publix makes some glorious cakes for around $30. I buy those for special occasions. 

Honored Contributor

I get it; but 20 years ago, a professional 10 in 2 layer cake here was $40.00.

According to an inflation calculator, $40.00 from 20 years ago to today is $69.99.

Respected Contributor

For special occasions, that price is very reasonable.  We love custom cakes and enjoy them at their respective prices.  Lots of time and effort go into specialty cakes.  You don't have to buy them if you feel it is too much.