Esteemed Contributor

Does anyone use cake mixes/brownie mixes past their exp date?  I'm talking about a few weeks, not months.  I've heard that there is something about the wheat that makes it not safe to use.  Thanks!

Respected Contributor

absolutely, I read somewhere during the shut down that even a year later it's not a problem. The expiration date means it's just simply past its prime and it can be very arbitrary. 

Valued Contributor
yes , of course ! There won’t be a problem. 
Respected Contributor

All the time, never had a problem.

Honored Contributor

Yes, I admit to it.  Smiley Sad

Esteemed Contributor

Yes, packaged cake and brownie mixes are safe to use for some time after the stated expiration date. But when you reach more than a year past, there's an increased chance that the leavening agent (e.g., baking powder or an equivalent) will no longer be as active, so your results likely won't be as good as with a fresh mix. In addition, mixes with chocolate in them will likely be less flavorful.

Esteemed Contributor

Thanks everyone.....now I won't be worried about a cake mix that expired last week Smiley Happy

Honored Contributor

What about instant pudding mixes?  I have several of these that kind of got back-burnered and are definitely expired.  But they've been kept inside a Lock & Lock in a cool environment (not refrigerated, but cool/dark cabinet type deal).

Is there something in the mix that would go bad, or just not work right anymore?

Honored Contributor

@chickenbutt wrote:

What about instant pudding mixes?  I have several of these that kind of got back-burnered and are definitely expired.  But they've been kept inside a Lock & Lock in a cool environment (not refrigerated, but cool/dark cabinet type deal).

Is there something in the mix that would go bad, or just not work right anymore?

I'd be a little more nervous about something that didn't get cooked. Cookie/brownie mixes get pretty darn hot and that should kill anything left alive. Instant pudding doesn't get cooked. Any bacteria in the mix that had been slowly growing over time could possibly be an issue past the expiration date.

"Sterile" things aren't typically bacteria-free, they've just had the vast majority of bacteria killed so what remains is small enough in number that they don't pose a real threat. Given enough time they could multiply enough to become one though. I had some sterile saline solution-filled syringes that I was advised not to use because they were past their expiration date and that any small amounts of bacteria that had survived the initial sterilization might have had a chance to grow enough in numbers to be a threat. 

Fly!!! Eagles!!! Fly!!!
Honored Contributor

@Patriot3 I wouldn't be concerned about a few weeks at all.  Enjoy!