Frequent Contributor

I would like to learn cake decorating.  I am waiting for classes at my local Michaels, but unfortunately they are not in the foreseeable future.

I would like to get tips and bags, and that way I can get myself familiar with these before taking a class, but am not sure what tips to get and bag size(s).  I see there are kits available at Wilton.com, but I am totally lost.  Can someone shed some light on this for me.  Thanks!!

Mary

Honored Contributor

Re: Cake Decorating Help Needed

My daughter took Wilton's classes years ago and she is really good.  She has collected hundreds of decorator tips and other supplies.

i just have a basic kit that I purchased from overstocks.  Everything came in a plastic box with 22 tips.  They have bigger sets too.

i and my daughter always use the disposable bags.  They are easy to use and toss.

Most of the time, I just decorate cupcakes and use one or two tips most often.

You might want to invest in a Wilton Book.  They have recipes for frostings that are good to use for decorating.  Your homemade frosting recipes usually won't pipe out well. I think the book has valuable informstion for getting started. Also Pinterest has some great ideas and instructions.

Best of luck on your new soon to be fun adventure.

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Mary in MO  -  I took a cake decorating class at a local culinary school and the tips I bought were all by Wilton. (Ateco is another brand).   I use the star tips and circular tips the most (for writing).

You'll need to buy the couplers (one part slips into the icing bag, and then you add the tip on the outside and screw on the the part to the bag),  bags (I have disposable and some really larger bags you reuse). 

I would buy one of the Wilton decorating yearbooks (I think that's what they're called).  They have decorated cakes in it with all the pans and tips used.  They have some really good information in them (I'd check Wilton's website too). 

You can rack up a bill with cake decorating, so you may want to buy just a few tips, disposable bags, couplers to get started.  Practice a lot and you can get really good at it!  Have fun!!!

Honored Contributor

Check adult education classes in your area through community college, library system or other county community services.  These tend to be much better quality classes than the Wilton classes taught at Michaels and AC Moore.

I've taken classes at both and found the ones through adult education to be more thorough and professional.  I took the first class through adult education, I think it was an 8 week class and it gave me a good foundation for the advanced classes. I took wilton 2 and 3 at Michaels and didn't care for the format, the class room or the instructors.

I took sugar paste and candy art through adult education and really enjoyed those.

You might want to check eBay for used Wilton kits, like the tackle box.  This hobby can get real expensive, real quick.

===================================
QVC Shopper - 1993

# IAMTEAMWEN
Honored Contributor

I took the Wilton classes, loved them. and several years later my daughter also took the classes.

Look in Michael's book section, mine always has a seasonal Wilton magazine that shows you the basics and what each tip will produce.  I'm guessing you can find back issues somewhere, they are worth it to get, like maybe a Holiday issue.

It's a lot of fun imo Woman LOL

Honored Contributor

@Mary in MO

This is on amazon dot com, if you are interested. We can't provide a link, but it's easy to find.

wilton

Valued Contributor

It's been years since I've decorated cakes. I prefer making bags out of paper, but the disposable bags sound like a good idea. I never liked the plastic bags and couplers. Too messy and hard to clean. I agree that if buying only two tips, the star and round are a good place to start.

Michael's has cake decorating supplies, and I think I've seen them at walmart. I taught myself, if that encourages you to just start on your own.

The consistency of the icing is important to how well the designs hold up, but I mostly used buttercream because the taste was important to me.

Respected Contributor

I'm pretty sure you could find a lot of stuff on youtube.   I self taught myself as well with Wilton decorating books that I still have.  They're dated clear back to the 70's.

~~
*Off The Deep End~A very short trip for some!*
Respected Contributor

@Mary in MO

Start small, you just need some basic tips to get started.  First, a star tip, leaf tip, rose tip and a small round hole tip for writing.  Along with your tips you need some couplers to attach the bag with the tip.

Bags, I would suggest if you are serious buy a heavy duty plastic bag, medium size.  If you are unsure, buy the disposibles but if you are practicing the heavy duty bag will work.  Be very careful cutting the corner of your bag to fit the tip and coupler, you can ruin some pretty expensive bags if you cut it too big.

You need a rose/flower nail.

If you purchase the Wilton practice beginners book, that will help you alot.

Don't go crazy yet buying everything, I have tubs upon tubs of cake decorating supplies, pans, forms, spatula's, etc. 

I'm sure you can self teach yourself but I found classes and help from a professional the best.  They know the in's and out's of decorating, the frosting consistancy, the temp of the butter, the type of powdered sugar, the length beating the frosting etc.  Maybe find a bakery in your area and see if you can "sit in" and observe while they are decorating cakes.

Let us know how it works out.  Takes a lot of practice, looks easy but it's not.

Honored Contributor

@Noel7 wrote:

@Mary in MO

This is on amazon dot com, if you are interested. We can't provide a link, but it's easy to find.

wilton

@Mary in MO

I took the classes at Michaels. I would suggest going into store they can show you the kit used for first (beginners) class. I know it has all you need from book, tips, templates to practice. I purchased extra 12" disposable bags & gel colors (using coupon).

I still use that same kit to decorate, I did add a few new tips but it really includes everything you need to get started.