Respected Contributor

CRANBERRY SAUCE (FOR THANKSGIVING)

I never had cranberry sauce until last year at Thanksgving dinner at my MIL's.  I really liked it!  I'd really like to have it for Thanksgiving this year, I'm hosting at my house.  Besides the canned stuff, I don't know any other kind.  I can't ask my MIL because she ordered from a restaurant and she lives far away.  Any ideas? 

Honored Contributor

Re: CRANBERRY SAUCE (FOR THANKSGIVING)

[ Edited ]

I was never a cranberry sauce fan----but a few years ago I made home made cranberry sauce with dried cherres in it and I am a believer now. The recipe was very simple and easy. You might google  if you like to cook from fresh. Have never had a pre- made c/sauce that tasted good. And it was incredible on my turkey sammie too.

Respected Contributor

I use the simple recipe on the cranberry bag. Only three ingredients: cranberries, water and sugar

Esteemed Contributor

It's OK but we very rarely have it for Thanksgiving (maybe once or twice) and it's not missed.

Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit, but Wisdom is knowing not to put it in a fruit salad.
- Author Unknown
Respected Contributor

I would not touch the canned stuff with a ten foot pole but I love the homemade sauce.  I follow the recipe on the back of the Ocean Spray Cranberry bag.  I do the jelled version where I press and mash the cooked berries through a strainer.  Delicious!

“I heard the sound I had to follow”
In Your Wildest Dreams by Justin Hayward
Esteemed Contributor

I love cranberry sauce with Turkey ! 

My relative makes cranberry sauce with orange juice & nuts  & other ingredients.  She gives me some every yr as a Christmas present.

Frequent Contributor

My favorite:  CRANBERRY SAUCE WITH RED HOTS

1 bag cranberries

1 cup sugar

1 cup water

Cook according to directions on bag, the cranberries will pop and soften when ready.  Add red hots (candies) to taste.  Stir until dissolved.

Esteemed Contributor

I use canned Ocean Spray whole berry sauce. put it in a small saucepan and add the zest of one orange, the juice of half the orange and about a half cup of chopped pecans.

simmer and stir over a low-medium heat until it begins to thicken, about 20 minutes.

then just cool in the fridge until time to serve.

it's easy, delicious and doesn't taste canned.

“All shall be well, and all shall be well and all manner of thing shall be well.” St. Julian of Norwich
Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

I've used the recipe on the Ocean Spray cranberries bag and it works fine. That was a tradition in DH's family.

The other day I read an article where they tested cranberry sauce you can buy. The winner for best sauce was Williams Sonoma New England Apple Cranberry Relish. 

We have diabetics in the family, so I've been ordering Cranberry Sauce from Walden Farms online. It's no-sugar-added, and it tastes really good and fresh. They make new batches each fall in the month or so before Thanksgiving. I usually order 2 of them because we like it so much. 

Cranberry Sauce & Fruit Spread

Super Contributor

This recipe reminds me of My daughter's mother-in-law..who ..would make homemade apple sauce... and she would put red hots in them....