Frequent Contributor

While using my Elite air fryer, one piece of the turkey bacon I was making......somehow got raised from the basket to the coiled heating element above and started smoking!  I was on it in a blink and quickly removed the basket and unplugged the unit.  Had to open my kitchen windows (20 degrees outside NY weather), turned on the exhausts on my range top, and prayed the fryer was not ruined.  After it cooled down, I turned it upside down....and gently wiith a wire brush removed any traces of the charred bacon.  I cleaned all of the inside as best I could and waited another day to use the air fryer and all seems well.  Just wanted to know........has this happened to anyone else?  I use the air fryer maybe 2 or 3 times a week, mostly for things like, pot stickers, egg rolls and french fries, just for a matter of minutes.  Now I  am hesitant to use it for anything requiring more time.  Thank you in advance for any replies.    

Honored Contributor

I use mine all of the time and that hasn’t happened.I cook Brussels sprouts and bacon,pork chops and salmon mostly.

Highlighted
Valued Contributor

Just a thought...maybe try cutting bacon strips in half so they will be shorter and not curl too much to reach up into the top coil?  I'm not too much of bacon eater, but I remember my Mom cooking bacon when I was a kid and she always cut the entire package in half before putting in big frying pan.  She said they were easier to cook short because they didn't twist & curl as much as full length strips. 🤔😊

Honored Contributor

Since I've never tried making bacon in it, never had any kind of problem like that. Works great for appetizers.

Frequent Contributor

Dear Scorpio1971........  I do the same thing, like your Mom, (smart lady) cutting them in half and freezing my portions. I’m a Lifetime WW and I got tired of throwing away whole packages when I only use a few strips.  I’m thinking the strips are so weightless they just flew up from the motion of the fan......

I enjoy the airfryer, have even made roast turkey breast and meatloaf in it.........that’s why I was concerned.  Thanks for you response. Gerri

Super Contributor

might ask the Mods to move this to Kitchen for more replies.

Trusted Contributor

Re: CLEANING MY AIR FRYER

[ Edited ]

@Gerri S wrote:

While using my Elite air fryer, one piece of the turkey bacon I was making......somehow got raised from the basket to the coiled heating element above and started smoking!  I was on it in a blink and quickly removed the basket and unplugged the unit.  Had to open my kitchen windows (20 degrees outside NY weather), turned on the exhausts on my range top, and prayed the fryer was not ruined.  After it cooled down, I turned it upside down....and gently wiith a wire brush removed any traces of the charred bacon.  I cleaned all of the inside as best I could and waited another day to use the air fryer and all seems well.  Just wanted to know........has this happened to anyone else?  I use the air fryer maybe 2 or 3 times a week, mostly for things like, pot stickers, egg rolls and french fries, just for a matter of minutes.  Now I  am hesitant to use it for anything requiring more time.  Thank you in advance for any replies.    

@Gerri S 

DO NOT USE A WIRE  BRUSH OR SCRAPER.

Here’s what to do:

Set your air fryer to the highest temperature.   Usually 400 degrees.

Set your time for 25 minutes.

The protein that was in contact with the heating element will carbonize, leaving some ash.  Wipe the ash out.   All done.   No damage to your air fryer.

Protein residue on the heating element will not damage your air fryer 

I once put a 6 pound turkey breast in my air fryer.   The skin was in contact with the heating coil.  There was smoke coming out of the air fryer.  I removed the turkey,  burned off the turkey skin that was on the heating coil.

I then divided the turkey breast in half, placed them back in my  air fryer, and continued to air fry until done.  Cooked to perfection.  And delicious.

Good luck.

Hung