Honored Contributor
For me, it's thick with ground beef, onions, kidney beans, crushed tomatoes and tomato sauce with just enough beef broth to get the consistency just right. I like a bit of heat and smokiness as well. No crackers, no sour cream, and no cheese for me, but yes to cornbread.
Honored Contributor
On 1/7/2015 RedTop said: For me, it's thick with ground beef, onions, kidney beans, crushed tomatoes and tomato sauce with just enough beef broth to get the consistency just right. I like a bit of heat and smokiness as well. No crackers, no sour cream, and no cheese for me, but yes to cornbread.

Try a little smoked paprika--but go easy until you find out how much you like!!!

Honored Contributor

No hot spices or whole tomatoes for me.

Super Contributor

Nightowlz, your chili recipe sounds good, interesting adding both the coffee and beer. I must say that I've never had chili with carrots in it. I think I would leave the carrots out and munch on them while I made the chili.

Esteemed Contributor

When I decide to make chili it's usually clean the fridge of leftovers that can go in so it's never the same twice.

A few grape tomatoes? In. Leftover chopped onion? In. Leftover chopped celery starting to wilt? In.Wilting green pepper? In.

I started making my chili with ground turkey. Really nice taste, lower calories and fat than beef. No beans (lower carbs) but I like it thick, not runny or soupy with sour cream & shredded cheese, please!

Respected Contributor

Oh NO! Forrestwolf, I'm just about always on the same page as you, but we're partin ways on this one. Ha! I like my chili with: ground beef, BEANS and more beans!, chopped tomatoes for SURE, a little bit spicy, onions (sautéed with the chili, not raw on top) cheese (on top) and God's most perfect food, Fritos! {#emotions_dlg.lol} And oddly enough, I don't care for milk at all but I have to have a cold mug of it with my chili. This is exactly what I had for supper last night!

Respected Contributor

I made chili for lunch today. I use ground beef, chili powder, cumin and tomato sauce, no beans or onion. I like the flavor of Mexene chili powder.

Mexene Chili Powder 2 oz.

Honored Contributor

Kidney beans

No cheese

Not a lot of spice, because I get heartburn

Lots of crackers crumbled up in it OR with sourdough bread (I'm a San Franciscan girl!)

No raw onions

I prefer ground beef if I make it myself, but don't mind cubed

Not too much chili powder (see above)

I HATE big chunks of stewed tomatoes, but I do like a little more than tomato sauce and paste. If I include canned stewed tomatoes in my own, I cut them up into small pieces before I put them in the pot.

Esteemed Contributor

my last batch of chili was: ground beef, onion, 15 bean (the dried soup beans), crushed tomatoes with chilies, low sodium V8, chili powder, red chili flakes, pepper.

To my bowl I add: sour cream and shredded cheese & crushed tortilla chips.

it was perfect {#emotions_dlg.thumbup}

Super Contributor

All of the above.