Respected Contributor

Re: CDC says throw away ALL romaine lettuce

I stopped buying ROMAINE after having to discard mine at least five times due to e-coli scare.  Now, I prefer and use CURLY LEAF LETTUCE .... this type stays fresher longer, and is fine for my Caesar Salad.

Respected Contributor

We haven't used Romaine since the last outbreak.  This warning is stunning because it applies to ALL Romaine.  As I remember, it also applies to these salad mixes that contain Romaine plus other ingredients.  I think the CDC said to also throw those out, too.

Respected Contributor

You think the recall was overly broad?  Ok.  Buy and eat Romaine at your own peril.  

The growers are going to have to come to grips with the problem and try to help the government find out what's going on.  They apparently have nailed down the kind of bacteria involved.  They have not been able to find the source.  I'll trust them on this.

Respected Contributor

i was at the thunderbird market (big) yesterday. of course it was jammed with shoppers before thanksgiving, and they had not pulled any of their romaine. i am not in one of the "affected" states, but the other letteces were a little low, and it didn't look like anyone had touched the romaine.

Respected Contributor

Just threw out a Doles Baby Spring Mix that contained romaine.  Romaine of any kind is gone from my stores and anything that was displayed touching it.  Can’t imagine there is anyone around here who doesn’t know about it.  

Respected Contributor

@aroc3435 wrote:

@ECBG @cozyseeker @Mistic  Thanks all for the information, including the map.  Glad it is not on my list.

Please everyone, the warning to not eat Romaine is for the entire US not just the states with documented cases.  

Super Contributor

I hate throwing away food !  I have a bag of Artisan romaine head lettuce from Costco that I bought last weekend and have already eaten half of it but I guess I'll throw that away. 

Two or three years ago, I got a recall notice in the mail from Costco advising me to throw out a bag of frozen mixed berries I bought there.  They recommended that anyone who had eaten these berries get a Hep-C shot.  I was not happy because I HATE needles but bit the bullet and got the vaccination.  It's nice that Costco sends out recall notices when there is one and they know who bought the product.  Most of the time, I suspect, it comes to the consumer a little too late because the product has already been consumed.

Does anyone know how produce is contaminated with E Coli?

Respected Contributor

Last summer it was Ariz. Romaine but shoppers still were buying Ca. Romaine. Now all is affected?  Somehow the facts need to come out as where the problem is and how contaminated.?

Honored Contributor

@gardenman wrote:

I hate these overly broad recalls. It's nearly certain that just one grower/processor is responsible, but now every grower suffers. Have a field of romaine lettuce that's ready for harvest? Plow it under and plant something else. The government just made it worthless, and have hurt sales longterm also. Is it really that hard to find the source?

The CDC has been unable to trace the source of this latest outbreak. There have also been cases in Canada. Since is this strain of E. coli is 0157, the deadliest strain, the CDC is doing this to be as cautious as possible. 

Honored Contributor

@lavenderfields wrote:

I hate throwing away food !  I have a bag of Artisan romaine head lettuce from Costco that I bought last weekend and have already eaten half of it but I guess I'll throw that away. 

Two or three years ago, I got a recall notice in the mail from Costco advising me to throw out a bag of frozen mixed berries I bought there.  They recommended that anyone who had eaten these berries get a Hep-C shot.  I was not happy because I HATE needles but bit the bullet and got the vaccination.  It's nice that Costco sends out recall notices when there is one and they know who bought the product.  Most of the time, I suspect, it comes to the consumer a little too late because the product has already been consumed.

Does anyone know how produce is contaminated with E Coli?

@lavenderfields

The CDC recall this summer it was runoff from a Cattle Feedlot.