Honored Contributor

Re: C'mon. 'Fess up. What cooking related item have you bought that you REALLY don't need?

On 3/3/2015 chessylady said: Two items never used, a pizza stone and a food mill. I rarely eat pizza and I know the pizza stone can be used for other things. What do you use it for and how do you clean it? I bought the food mill because I thought I might do some canning and I thought you might need it for tomato sauce? Also Martha Stewart also used it so much? How do you use your food mill?

Good question. I'd like to know also what people use theirs for. Just a year or so ago I got one. I'd never had one and probably had no need for it but that one main brand (I can't remember the brand name) that makes a really nice one, but it always cost $50-$60, had it on Woot one day for less than $20 so I just had to get it. I think I used it once.

I didn't have any trouble cleaning it though - just wash like any other stoneware I guess. Seems it came with instructions, IIRC. But I just washed it off in the sink and dried it. Came clean very easily. Smiley Happy

Super Contributor

Re: C'mon. 'Fess up. What cooking related item have you bought that you REALLY don't need?

Several madeleine pans and a set of flower shaped ice cream molds. At least 15 years ago. Still nestled in their boxes. What kind of fancy schmancy tea party did I think I was going to host??!!

Esteemed Contributor

On 3/3/2015 lacey1 said:

Yonannas, anyone?

{#emotions_dlg.lol}

Fortēs fortūna adjuvat
Super Contributor

This subject makes me laugh.. here's mine special pan to make a checkerboard cake.. never even opened the box..haha

Respected Contributor

On 3/3/2015 Tinkrbl44 said:

I must be the ONLY person in the U.S. that doesn't own a George Foreman grill!

There are two of us!
Honored Contributor

On 3/3/2015 SunValley said:

I must be the ONLY person in the U.S. that doesn't own a George Foreman grill! {#emotions_dlg.laugh}

There are two of us!

THREE! I don't have one, either.

I tuned into HSN this morning and saw them selling some kind of "rapid cooking pan". I didn't get a good look at it, but I thought it might wind up on a thread like this some day.

~ house cat ~
Honored Contributor

On 3/1/2015 Divine said:

Product Details

• 3 in 1 toaster oven, coffee maker and griddle

Never used. Still in the box..probably 8 yrs. now. Need to donate. Sigh...
This gadget really cracked me up!! :0 I currently have a crock pot sitting on my counter that I really don't need.
Contributor

Doesn't qualify as cooking related, but I received a set of cuba libre glasses many moons ago when I got married. For those who don't know, a cuba libre is a rum drink and the glasses are very tall and narrow and can't be used for any other liquid. Sat for years in my cupboard, until donated to a charity flea market. I've often wondered what happened to them.

Trusted Contributor

On 3/3/2015 house_cat said:
On 3/3/2015 SunValley said:

I must be the ONLY person in the U.S. that doesn't own a George Foreman grill! {#emotions_dlg.laugh}

There are two of us!

THREE! I don't have one, either.

I tuned into HSN this morning and saw them selling some kind of "rapid cooking pan". I didn't get a good look at it, but I thought it might wind up on a thread like this some day.

I, too, saw that demonstration early this a.m. and was wishing host Shannon would just shut her trap/stop hawking the product and let the vendor do her thing. I think I would have ordered that skillet had the vendor stated the capacity it could hold, say for making soup. I thought it was perfect for warming tortillas and perhaps as an oven for baking a cake (the pineapple upside down cake looked scrumptious)-- I was thinking of HHH summer days in my area. Let me end here because I am talking myself into revisiting that rapid skillet (but didn't like that some of veggies being steamed could possibly fall between the rack and into the water).

Oh, yeah, the dumbest thing I bought was a pot stirrer. This thing was placed over the top of the pot and was supposed to stir the ingredients in the pot. Don't recall if it was battery-operated or wind-up-- I never used it.

Respected Contributor

Can you imagine how much we'd make in a garage sale if we could pool all our ""stuff"" and sell it to some equally good intentioned poor souls???

Denise