Contributor

Re: C'mon. 'Fess up. What cooking related item have you bought that you REALLY don't need?

House cat I have the same soap dispenser from BBB in my kitchen and love it. I'm a germaphobe, so it works great for me haha!
Honored Contributor

Re: C'mon. 'Fess up. What cooking related item have you bought that you REALLY don't need?

I used to buy all kinds of gadgets with good intentions and never used them. Got a George Foreman grill for Xmas... never used it, so I bought a bigger one with removable grills that I also never used. The list goes on. I don't buy kitchen gadgets anymore.
Honored Contributor

On 3/1/2015 Janealma said: House cat I have the same soap dispenser from BBB in my kitchen and love it. I'm a germaphobe, so it works great for me haha!

I didn't think it would work as good as it does. I like it a lot, but I sure could have lived without it.

~ house cat ~
Esteemed Contributor

I have a medtronics soap dispenser in my shower and I love it. It doesn't get used like one in the kitchen would. My unused item is a 12x15 casserole or baking pan. Yeh, there's just 2 of us and that's a lot of food!

Esteemed Contributor

I bought a panini press and it lives in the bottom cabinet. When I want a grilled sandwich I simply use two pans and a large can of tomatoes for weight. Works the same.

Fortēs fortūna adjuvat
Super Contributor

Oh, boy. I guess you don't know how useful or not something will be until you try it out, huh? I got one of those Genius slicer sets from Q; it's very nice quality and works well, but I don't use it enough to own it. On the other hand, I bought two different microwave cooking things that I thought were frivolous at first, but have fallen in love with as I've worked with them. Same with thenFood Saver. I had mixed feelings about getting one, but I really appreciate the nice, non-deteriorating stacks of chicken breasts, fish filets and pork chops in my freezer. I have extra plastic containers and bakeware I only use a few times a year. I didn't have to buy that french press coffee maker, either, although I enjoy it when I do use it. In fact, I think that will be my new criterion for keeping things: not whether I need it, but whether I enjoy it. Doesn't that sound like the right priority?
Trusted Contributor

I HAD to have one of those cake pop makers. I've used it a few times, but cupcakes are so much easier. With one recipe you could easily make over 50 of those little cake balls. And then there's the sticks the pops go on, and then you have to melt chocolate to frost them. Yikes!

Speaking of panini makers, Gardens, we were given a panini maker for a wedding present ten years ago and all I could think of was, gee, now that's something I'll never use. I can't tell you how much we use that little thing - enough to have it take up precious counter space along side the KA mixer! I've used all kinds of leftovers and come up with some really good grilled sandwiches using that gadget. In a pinch it even grills a couple of burgers.

Esteemed Contributor

On 3/1/2015 denisemb said:

What's the saying, "the road to Heaven is paved with good intentions." ?

THAT is my relationship with kitchen gadgets. Use them at first and then the novelty wears off (I'm another with a mini pie maker, rangemate, a bazillion slicing/dicing gadgets, etc.)

My twin!!!!

Get your flu shot...because I didn't.
Respected Contributor

On 3/2/2015 HonnyBrown said:
On 3/1/2015 denisemb said:

What's the saying, "the road to Heaven is paved with good intentions." ?

THAT is my relationship with kitchen gadgets. Use them at first and then the novelty wears off (I'm another with a mini pie maker, rangemate, a bazillion slicing/dicing gadgets, etc.)

My twin!!!!

Hi, Sis! ::::: waving ::::: LOL

Denise
Trusted Contributor

Ah, yes-Let's look in the appliance dungeon. Juicer and waffle iron,( from my parent's house-Good Grief!), pie maker, Panini press, bread maker, Oster blender, Chris Frey bullet blender, mini food processor, propane oven, (for when you want to make a pie during a hurricane), 3 crock pots, (my kids think this is the perfect gift for me), mandolins, those round manual chopper/mixer things with the handle on the top.

I actually use: knives, KA stand mixer and food processor, Vitamix and electric pressure cooker. I think I have learned my lesson!