Frequent Contributor

Re: C'mon. 'Fess up. What cooking related item have you bought that you REALLY don't need?

A second H halogen oven, a pair of "easy" choppers( basically 3 bladed scissors ), and a mini replica of a vintage hotdog cart that cooks the dogs and steams the buns.
Honored Contributor

Re: C'mon. 'Fess up. What cooking related item have you bought that you REALLY don't need?

Most everything in my kitchen gathers dust. I force myself to use something once in a while to justify why I won't get rid of it. LOL

Fate whispers to her, "You cannot withstand the storm." She whispers back, "I am the storm."

Respected Contributor

On 3/1/2015 denisemb said:

What's the saying, "the road to Heaven is paved with good intentions." ?

Maybe it's a regional thing, but I've always heard that it's the road to H E L L O that is paved with good intentions.

Now as for kitchen gadgets, I have a huge, very full pantry, and I wouldn't even think to begin a list of the things in there that I don't use. Apparently DH (during his marriage to his deceased spouse) had the same problem, or she did. We have two of many things, most of which are of little or no use when there are only two of you.

Actually, I have an additional problem. It's not just kitchen things I love. I have an ongoing love affair with office supplies, for which there is no logical explanation. Serious enough that I recently tossed a lot of silver colored gem clips in favor of some gold colored ones. Nuff said.

Valued Contributor

Way too many to mention them all. I do own a electronic pressure cooker that I bought months ago and it is still sitting in the box unopened. I think I will use it once I over come the fear of it. How can a 57 year old woman be intimidated by a little pressure cooker, an electric one at that? I don't know, but I am. LOL.

Valued Contributor

I bought a bread maker a year ago. It's still in the box.

Honored Contributor

I must be the ONLY person in the U.S. that doesn't own a George Foreman grill!

Honored Contributor

On 3/1/2015 HonnyBrown said:

I want that motion activated soap dispenser!

My silly purchases:

George Foreman Grill (I use my LC grill pan)

A billion different choppers and slicers (I use my knives)

A spice grinder (I use my mortar and pestle)

A quesadilla maker (no comment)

(bolded by me) Oh, my goodness! Many many years ago I purchased a quesadilla maker. Ok, I'll go - It seemed like a good idea at the time. I get this thing and, first of all, it was HUGE! It was this ginormous round deal. I forgot the brand but it was all red.

So I say - ok, let's try this. Well, you put down the tortilla and some stuff and the other tortilla, and close the lid. It splooshes just about everything OUT from the middle (I didn't overdo it, either - I'm not stupid) and you have this big mess on the outside and the counter.

Then you take it out and all you have are two tortillas stuck together by the microscopic amount of cheese that was left in the middle.

Thank goodness I could return that hot mess! I have a fairly large kitchen but I didn't even have anywhere to put that anyway. Not a well-thought-out purchase by any stretch.

Honored Contributor

I have a several years' old bread maker that I was saving for DH's retirement. Well,. he's been retired since Dec. 10 and I haven't pulled it out yet. I guess I figured we would sit around eating bread.

Esteemed Contributor

On 3/3/2015 depglass said:

I have a several years' old bread maker that I was saving for DH's retirement. Well,. he's been retired since Dec. 10 and I haven't pulled it out yet. I guess I figured we would sit around eating bread.

{#emotions_dlg.laugh} Too funny depglass{#emotions_dlg.lol}

It's God's job to judge the terrorists. It's our mission to arrange the meeting. U.S. Marines
Trusted Contributor

On 3/3/2015 Rustys mom said:

Way too many to mention them all. I do own a electronic pressure cooker that I bought months ago and it is still sitting in the box unopened. I think I will use it once I over come the fear of it. How can a 57 year old woman be intimidated by a little pressure cooker, an electric one at that? I don't know, but I am. LOL.

I bought a stupid electric pressure cooker. The thing was such a waste. It took forever to come up to pressure and to come down from the pressure before it would allow me to open it. It was just easier and faster to cook with a regular old pot on the stove.

I kept the thing thinking I would use it as a slow cooker, but I already have a slow cooker. Just after the holidays it found itself in the back of the car headed off to Goodwill.

I don't know what was more of a waste of money, the electric pressure cooker or that Ronco pasta maker I bought in the 90s!