Frequent Contributor

Re: Buying David's New Book?

I no longer have MBR cookbooks but the one recipe I make on a regular basis is her Norwegian Pancakes. I have it commited to memory. I usually reduce the sugar by 1/4 cup these days.

Honored Contributor

@Renata22  I think I have used MaryBeth's two cookbooks more than any that I own.  (No longer buying new cookbooks, so didn't order David's.)

Honored Contributor

@CLEM wrote:

I really don't have room for more books.  But the reason I won't buy this book is because I hardly ever use short cuts except canned tomatoes.  So this would be wasted on me.

@CLEMYou cook like me.  I can taste the mix in cakes that began that way and I can taste every other short cook.  Adding extra oil to a cake mix even with the other items, makes a tough cake.

Respected Contributor

@ECBG  I recently tried to make a pineapple upside down cake in the pressure cooker based on a recipe someone posted here.  I was a nervous wreck using a cake mix and some instant pudding.  Everyone loved the cake and a friend said she always can taste a mix, but couldn't with this cake.   I hated it.  Will continue to make cake from scratch.

Honored Contributor

@CLEMI think if you tried one of the "easy" ones next to a scratch cake, you'd immediately see the difference and be able to "put your finger" on it.

The "easy" ones have a tough, thicker crust", as well as something that's "present and out of place" in the taste.

Honored Contributor

I've never been a big fan of cookbooks. 

Usually there are a handful of recipes that I would use, and the rest is just wasted space in my home, for me. 

I used to subscribe to the Taste of Home family of cooking magazines, and found more recipes I liked in any one of those, than any cookbook I ever bought or looked at. 

Between all the magazines I've saved, the family recipes I've collected over the years, and the internet, I don't ever intend to pay full price for a cookbook again. 

I do look at them at thrift stores and garage sales, and pick up one now and again, copy out the recipes I like, then give the book back. Not a huge investment for anywhere from fifty cents to a couple of dollars.

My mom bought me David's second cookbook, after knowing I didn't want it (LOL) and there isn't a single recipe in there I felt interested in trying. If I thought she wouldn't notice, I'd donate it. I don't like to waste space in my bookshelves or in my kitchen, with cookbooks that I don't use.

But I do love David!

Trusted Contributor

@Mominohio, I used to love Taste of Home and their family of magazines. Back in the day, they featured good, down home cooking and I found a multitude of great recipes. Once Reader's Digest took it over, it seemed to change in a direction that didn't appeal to me. I found less less and less recipes that I found useful and eventually cancelled all my subscriptions. 

Honored Contributor

@SXMGirl wrote:

I did not know that his new cookbook was now being offered.  I collect cookbooks, so I will probably order.  I read them as some people read novels.

For those who want to get rid of their cookbooks, there is not a great market for them.  However, The Kitchen Witch in New Orleans sometimes buys them but can also direct you to places where you could sell/donate.   

I do the same @SXMGirl. I LOVE to read some cookbooks.  I don't cook a lot (at all), and when I do, it's not really "comfort food" but I love reading all types of cookbooks.   I preordered this one, am looking forward to it.

Honored Contributor

@Maltichonmom17 wrote:

@Mominohio, I used to love Taste of Home and their family of magazines. Back in the day, they featured good, down home cooking and I found a multitude of great recipes. Once Reader's Digest took it over, it seemed to change in a direction that didn't appeal to me. I found less less and less recipes that I found useful and eventually cancelled all my subscriptions. 

@Maltichonmom17

You are exactly right. 

I used to subscribe to four Reiman magazines at any given time, my favorite were Reminisce and Reminisce Extra. Once Readers Digest took over, the adds started multiplying, and the stories and actual amount reading material in them has dropped considerably. And you hit the nail on the head, the recipes got to be things that don't interest me in the least.

I saved the Reminisce magazines from the early years and until maybe 2011, back when they were so good, and the stories were about the more distance past. And I'm glad I did, as I read and re read them over and over.

The stories now are about the 1950's through the 1970's and I'm just not interested. Stopped my subscription several years ago, and if I pick up newer ones at a thrift, I read them, then move them on.

Honored Contributor

For anyone interested in recipes that are not difficult but also not full of pre-packaged or processed food, check at Cuisine at Home, in  particular their selection of cook "books" (soft cover). They are inexpensive and ship free. I have many of them and find that I use them often. I don't subscribe to their magazine, though.

~Who in the world am I? Ah, that's the great puzzle~ Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland