Respected Contributor

Butterball Frozen Ready to Roast Turkey

[ Edited ]

E2B8D018-EDD0-48DC-BF85-D1A64E158F17.jpeg

Has anyone ever bought one of these? What did you think?

My son is coming this week for a visit from Dallas and wants me to make Turkey Tetrazzini for him. I thought I would make this the day before he comes for us and then have turkey for his Tettrazini. I know Walmart carries these as I have seen then before.

There is another cooking bag inside that you bake it in.

Super Contributor

Re: Butterball Frozen Ready to Roast Turkey

Yes, I bought these turkeys.  The only trouble I see with them is, inside that inside cooking bag is the turkey and thats all, no seasoning. I like salt/pepper, poultry seasoning, butter on the skin, etc...I guess after most of the cooking time you could cut the bag open and season it and baste it.  

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

I would use turkey cutlets, this way you are not fussing with a bigger bird

Stop being afraid of what could go wrong and start being positive what could go right.
Honored Contributor

It's not something I would do.

How many people will you be feeding?

My grocery store sells fresh turkey parts, you can buy just a whole breast or thighs or wings.   I've seen the turkey cutlets also.

Esteemed Contributor

I have not yet seen this in my local market but I would be tempted to give it a try.   I've never been disappointed with a Butterball turkey after all.

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

Thanks for the input. Just 2-4 people to feed. Our local Price Chopper store has buy one get one free frozen Shady Brook turkey breast starting today. I may just get them as I can give the free one away to a relative for her family. They are only 4-6 lbs.  They also have whole frozen turkeys .99 a lb. We like turkey but not too much of it. As long as a whole turkey is about 12-14 pounds it works for us as I can always freeze some. He is coming Thursday so by tomorrow I need to make up my mind.

Just making it as my son is single and enjoys the homemade food of Mom. I will make a ham also and some Mac and Cheese while he is home. Him and I are going to the Chinese Buffet for lunch when he arrives Thursday. He has his food all planned out. Smiley Happy

I miss him being so far away. He is a Medical Billing Director so he doesn’t get much time to fly home. He may try and get a job closer next year so we can have more time together.

If I end up getting the one in the bag I will post back.

Honored Contributor

@aoldgirl wrote:

Yes, I bought these turkeys.  The only trouble I see with them is, inside that inside cooking bag is the turkey and thats all, no seasoning. I like salt/pepper, poultry seasoning, butter on the skin, etc...I guess after most of the cooking time you could cut the bag open and season it and baste it.  

@aoldgirl  Thanks for this info! I don't ever season or put lard (butter) on a turkey I make. I'm a fanatic with cooking healthy. I prefer it to be unseasoned and just true turkey! I'll have to give this a try!.

"Pure Michigan"
Honored Contributor

my gf makes these all the time including TG.  Me I prefer the old fashion method and I like seasonings on my turkey skin.  I believe they are unseasoned and you don't open the bag until cooked.

I guess they'd be good in a pinch.  Plus, they are expensive (at least here $16-18) when I can buy it when its $.79/lb.  I like to make a small one every once in awhile.

Trusted Contributor

@MKR14 

@MKR14 wrote:

E2B8D018-EDD0-48DC-BF85-D1A64E158F17.jpeg

Has anyone ever bought one of these? What did you think?

My son is coming this week for a visit from Dallas and wants me to make Turkey Tettrazini for him. I thought I would make this the day before he comes for us and then have turkey for his Tettrazini. I know Walmart carries these as I have seen then before.

There is another cooking bag inside that you bake it in.

I made one in an Air Fryer.  In the cooking bag.  It came  out perfect.

Good luck.

Honored Contributor

What is this thing?  A turkey that you thaw in the bag then cook in the bag?  I have never seen one of these.