Trusted Contributor

Re: Butter Consumption Reaches a 40 Year High

On 1/16/2014 redtabby said:
On 1/16/2014 ballinmom said:
On 1/15/2014 willdob3 said:
On 1/12/2014 sidsmom said:

I keep my diet 10% fat w/ nuts/seeds/avocado....and 80% carbohydrates consisting of fruits/starch (potatoes/rice/legumes). Very satisfying & slimming. Butter is ick on so many levels. It's dairy, which is evil on a whole-nuther level. It's a fat w/ no whole-food nutritional value (compared to avocado/almonds/coconut meat). It's a processed food, which again, is evil on a whole-nuther level. For the nutrients, calories, taste....there are so many other better alternatives.

We are all so different! Following your diet would kill me! {#emotions_dlg.laugh}

Me too! I work out and am quite active and could never survive eating 10% protein!

How do you figure she only gets 10% protein? Protein is in grains (oatmeal), legumes, even green veggies and fruits have protein. Did you know that Serena Williams is a vegan?

While she did include rice and legumes to her list of foods, she specifically mentioned carbohydrates at 80% consisting of fruits and starches (meaning made up of). There is no protein in fruits or starches. She stated that 10% is fats, it's simple mathematics. I just took her at her word.

As an athlete, I'm sure that Ms. Williams' diet does not consist of 80% sugar (fruits/starches). Yes, I know, fruit also contains fiber.

"The good thing about Science is that it's true, whether or not you believe in it."
Neil deGrasse Tyson
Honored Contributor

Yep redtabby....80% Carbohydrate, 10% Protein, 10% Fat...The 80/10/10 Diet by Douglas Graham. It's a raw food diet based on fruits. For cooked options, I look for Dr. John McDougall for dietary inspiration...and he focuses on low fat w/ a high starch base. Both are clean, simple, low fat, inexpensive ways of eating for all people...including athletes. A fruit based, raw diet is becoming more & more popular with athletes...assimilation & recovery is quicker. And yes, fruits & starches have protein...and fat. Use CRON-O-meter or FitDay to track your micronutrients....it's an eye-opener.

Honored Contributor

Let me take a guess at something here: We eat out a LOT more and restaurants use a LOT more salt and butter than home cooks. WORLDS more butter.

There are a lot of people now from other countries living here and they no doubt cook with butter and more of it than those raised here.

I would think those two things matter in the larger picture too.

Super Contributor

Guess Paula Deen was right all along!!

Honored Contributor

On 1/17/2014 Ranchergal said:

Guess Paula Deen was right all along!!

For so many reasons it's good that she isn't everywhere you look now. Butter being one, obnoxious behavior being another, and rounding out with all-around bad behavior.

Honored Contributor

On 1/17/2014 Sooner said:

For so many reasons it's good that she isn't everywhere you look now. Butter being one, obnoxious behavior being another, and rounding out with all-around bad behavior.

This! (re: Paula Deen)