Respected Contributor

I need a new Bundt or regular round cake pan.  Looking at Amazon, I really don't know what cup capacity I should buy.  What I want is a round cake pan that will hold a cake mix or a cake made from scratch.  Can anyone help with the cup capacity I need.  

Esteemed Contributor

Subscribing as I'd like to know, too!

I've looked at WS and Nordicware's site and no clue which pans hold what recipe?

My old classic bundt pan bit the dust ages ago.

Honored Contributor

Traditional Bundt cake pans hold 12-cups of batter, which is the perfect two-cake cake mix size. Most recipes that make 10 to 12 cups of batter will fit perfectly in most bundt cake pans. As far as other pans go, there is a 6-cup Classic pan, and the Wreath panholds 6-cups as well. The Festival pan holds 9 cups.

This sounds about right to me.  We use our 6 cup Bundt pans a lot.  If it were me, I would for sure buy Nordic Ware.  You can't beat them.

Look on their site, King Arthur Baking, and Williams Sonoma also for potential sales and recipes 

Esteemed Contributor

Check around online, there a number of places that translate inches (length and width and height) to cups. You still have to deal with how many cups 🤪

I must own every nonstandard size in the world and struggle with it.

Respected Contributor

@coffee drinker   The Joy of Baking website has a chart with pan sizes that will help you  with the differences and cup capacities of different pans.

The Cookies and Cups website also has a useful comparison/conversion/equivalent sizes chart and includes some less typical examples,  such  as pie plates.

The Fat Daddio website has a good comparison chart too and includes one as a cardboard circle in each pan purchased.

Hope this helps.  For the oddball  pans I have and occasionally use I have measured them using a liquid cup measure filling the pan with water and then recording that info in my cooking notebook so that I can refer to it when using it again.

aroc3435

Washington, DC

Respected Contributor

Re: Bundt Cake Pan

[ Edited ]

I have two bundt pans, one is a Nordic Ware and one is some kind of cheaper bakers special.

I would suggest s Nordic Ware and would suggest buying from Williams Sonoma

12 cup is the standard pan

there is also an anniversary nordic ware pan that states 10-15 cups which is also nice.

I learned to never skimp on buying cake pans, I have tossed too many walmart kmart pans i bought just because of the price.

If you do choose Williams Sonoma, they have there own cake release spray that works so much better than even Wiltons.  It's called Bak-Klene ZT nonstick baking spray...works like a charm and you need this or something like it working with a bundt pan.

Good luck.

Honored Contributor

Cake mixes are a lot smaller than they were just a few years ago.  A mix in a 12 cup pan is going to look very skimpy. 

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Regular Contributor

I bought a Bundt cake pan from Curtis Stone with his famous non stick coating from HSN .I used it once for a large peach spice cake and  just loved it.Check it out and see as Ive forgotten the exact number of cups it holds but my cake was large and I had plenty of room.

Respected Contributor

Re: Bundt Cake Pan

[ Edited ]

12 cup is what you need for most Pound cake recipes.  I have some 10 cup bundt pans but only use those for cake mix recipes where you don't add much of anything otherwise the batter will overflow in the oven.  

I have some of the 6 cup size of NordicWare bundt pans.  I just thought they were so cute.  I have never used them though.

I have the Nordic Ware bundt pans.  They're the best you will find and they will outlast you.

Super Contributor

@coffee drinker wrote:

I need a new Bundt or regular round cake pan.  Looking at Amazon, I really don't know what cup capacity I should buy.  What I want is a round cake pan that will hold a cake mix or a cake made from scratch.  Can anyone help with the cup capacity I need.  

Wal-Mart has the "Original" bundt pan that I recommend.  They also have a cheaper/lighter-weight version.  If you don't want the design a bundt pan makes on your cake, I suggest a "tube" pan; I use the tube pan that was my Momma's for my cream cheese pound cakes.  She used to make her homemade angel food cakes in it.