Honored Contributor

Gonna start keeping my canisters of flour in freezer

Opened up my flour keeper today to make rolls and tiny black bugs was in it. Ewwww threw the flour in trash. Checked my all purpose flour too had bugs in it too. Threw that out.

I had 2 new bags in freezer took them out and put in canisters, one bread flour, other all purpose and after

used out of it this time keeping in freezers.

I don't know how bugs get in flour ? Do they live in the store bought flour ? This is Tx. we're not buggy like in places that gets lots of rain. Everything I got is sealed tight. OXO tight fitting canisters for flour and I still see the **** tiny black bugs. 

In freezer straight from the store I guess I'll have to do in future.

1^ffl.gif

Honored Contributor

My mom had that several times 

Stop being afraid of what could go wrong and start being positive what could go right.
Respected Contributor

They could have come from the mill where the flour was made....

Esteemed Contributor

I had the same thing happen!  Bugs are everywhere!

I put the new flour into a plastic bag and put some bay leaves between the bag and the plastic cannister.  Seems to be working.

Honored Contributor

@SharkE Ha! Ha! Thanks for the little bug on your text.

I thought I had a bug on my screen. 

Fortunately, I have never had bugs in my flour. As soon as I buy a bag of flour, I put the flour in a decorative glass jar. And put the glass jar in my canister. But I do not go through the volume of flour that you do.

Esteemed Contributor

Found bugs in old dry pasta once and recently healthy ones crawling in red hot pepper (McCormick).....how they could live in that...beyond me.

Eggs get in the product and eventually hatch.

Honored Contributor

lock n lock is great for storing flour, sugar, rice, nuts.....it pretty much keeps all bugs out.

"The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing." - Albert Einstein
Esteemed Contributor

@SharkE, I put my flour in a plastic zip-lock gallon bag and then into a canister. I'm in Mississippi where it's very rainy at times and humid, and I have never had a problem with bugs that I can recall.

BTW, that little bug crawling around at the bottom of your post had me scrambling for a Kleenex to get it off my computer screen. it took me a couple of seconds to realize it isn't real! Smiley Happy

“All shall be well, and all shall be well and all manner of thing shall be well.” St. Julian of Norwich
Esteemed Contributor

@MariotaMurielle The SHARK didn't scare you?

LOL

Trusted Contributor

@SharkE Like @sann said, I have been told by pest control people that the bugs/eggs are already in the product before purchasing. They say to freeze the flour or any grains and cereal immediately to kill off the eggs/bugs currently in the product.

I never really have room in my freezer so I don't do this and the thought I am just killing the bugs/eggs kind of still creeps me out.