Esteemed Contributor

@sunshine45  That's genius!!  I never saw those containers.  Thank you for posting as I think I will try that.   I've been doing what @SharkE  stated, using a small piece of bread.

That works pretty well but I like the idea of the Pampered Chef item.

Honored Contributor

I put a whole slice in LOL  Next time you use brown sugar toss it and put in a fresh slice.

we never use even a half loaf of bread, so, at least the bread has a purpose hhahahahhha

we throw away more food then a restaurnat.  Just 2 of us and when your older you don't eat as much any more.

Esteemed Contributor

@sunshine45  I have something very similar that I got from Amazon for $6.99.  Works great.

The next time that I hear salt and ice together, it better be in a margarita!
Honored Contributor

I've always used the brown sugar bears with great success but now I want a little chick!  Smiley Sad

Seriously, keeping it in a L&L with the little bear keeps it for ages.  Of course, you want to re-soak the bear from time to time.  I don't do it that often because I don't think of it that often and it still works great.   I definitely think that part of the equation is keeping it in an airtight container.

Respected Contributor

I have two Tupperware containers that I bought years ago specifically for brown sugar.  I keep my light in one and my dark in another.  I also have two of the little bears.  I try to remember to take them and soak them in a saucer of water for 30 minutes every couple of weeks.  

If I do that faithfully my brown sugars stay nice and soft.

Honored Contributor

I only use brown sugar at Christmas and New Years for candied yams.

Hard brown sugar can also be grated.

Esteemed Contributor

@chickenbutt wrote:

I've always used the brown sugar bears with great success but now I want a little chick!  Smiley Sad

Seriously, keeping it in a L&L with the little bear keeps it for ages.  Of course, you want to re-soak the bear from time to time.  I don't do it that often because I don't think of it that often and it still works great.   I definitely think that part of the equation is keeping it in an airtight container.

I got the chick at an historical home gift shop. But I really can't remember where. Must have been an important home like Penn's Landing or some place. I've kind of made the circuit. Somewhere where they had a gift shop.

Respected Contributor

I seal my brown sugar in a food saver bag. 
Using a piece of bread works too.
And I always buy my brown sugar at Winco. I can buy very small quantities from their self serve bins. No waste. 

Super Contributor

I have one of those terra cotta teddy bears and it has always worked well for me.  After I soak it for 15 minutes, I place it in the bag of brown sugar and by the next day the sugar is soft enough to use.  It's not instantaneous, but gradually softens over time.  Sometimes it has to be soaked a second time for the sugar to get completely soft, but most of the time I can start to use the sugar after soaking it just once.