Trusted Contributor

When cooking, when do you use broth and when do you use stock?  If a recipe calls for broth do you ever swap it out for stock?

Also, do you have a favorite brand of broth and/or stock?  I've noticed some of them are very salty so I try to look for other choices when shopping.

I have another thread about making French Onion Soup in the Vitamix, so this is where my question is coming from.  I just tried Trader Joe's French Onion soup.  It comes in a frozen ball and you put it in a bowl and cook it in the oven (I used my toaster oven).  I've actually never had French Onion soup before, so this was my first time trying.  It was good, but I felt it was too salty, as are a lot of soups purchased in the store.  I thought it would be nice to make my own where I can control the salt content.

*QVC Community member since 10/24/2006*
Valued Contributor

I use unsalted stock and then add my own salt.  I like Progresso but it has been hard for me to find in Florida so I tried Swanson and seems like the same.  I also give stock to my dogs but it is so concentrated I water it down.  They love it on cold mornings.

Esteemed Contributor

seems I've participated in this conversation a few times already

I Remember Knorr brand chicken was highest rated by consumer reports.

https://community.qvc.com/t5/Recipes/Broth-or-Stock-When-Making-Soup/m-p/3461734#M71580

Respected Contributor

Always use stock, better flavor.

Esteemed Contributor

I use College Inn Bold stock.  I find that it just adds a better taste.

The next time that I hear salt and ice together, it better be in a margarita!
Honored Contributor

I use stock probably 85% of the time.

I buy Wegmans.  I read the label and it has about the same amount of sodium as Swanson's Low Sodium Chix Broth....so I go with the stock.  Beef, turkey and veg stock as well.

Have never seen Knorrs.  I have liked their products.

Problem is...sometimes you only need a cup or less.  I have never seen stock in a small can or carton.  Just the 32oz.  I may not want to open a large carton if it doesn't fit into the rest of the weeks' menu.

So I do keep the soup size cans of chic & beef broth in the pantry just in case.

Valued Contributor

@RespectLife You could try Better Than Bouillon.  It is a concentrate I keep in the refrigerator that you can use 1 tsp. per cup of water.  It is high in salt though.

Honored Contributor

@m0rganwrote:

@RespectLife You could try Better Than Bouillon.  It is a concentrate I keep in the refrigerator that you can use 1 tsp. per cup of water.  It is high in salt though.

Thank you @m0rgan

You are right!  I forgot all about that!  I had 2 jars in the fridge but pitched them last year when we had to move to temporary housing while our new home was being built.

I should get them again.

If I remember right, while it IS high in sodium...it has incredible flavor.  I just always decrease or eliminate any extra salt when using that!

Thanks for the reminder!

Super Contributor

I am a fan of Better Than Bouillon.  I discovered it last year and used it in an old family recipe (Beef Stew).   I didn't think anything could improve the taste but Better Than Bouillon (Beef Base) sure did.  Yum!

Valued Contributor

@RespectLifewrote:

I use stock probably 85% of the time.

I buy Wegmans.  I read the label and it has about the same amount of sodium as Swanson's Low Sodium Chix Broth....so I go with the stock.  Beef, turkey and veg stock as well.

Have never seen Knorrs.  I have liked their products.

Problem is...sometimes you only need a cup or less.  I have never seen stock in a small can or carton.  Just the 32oz.  I may not want to open a large carton if it doesn't fit into the rest of the weeks' menu.

So I do keep the soup size cans of chic & beef broth in the pantry just in case.

@RespectLife  Kitchen Basics sells stock and broth in 8oz cartons as well as Pacific Foods. I have found both in all my local grocery stores here in NY.  They come in 4 packs too and I believe you can order on line from Walmart or Amazon. HTH!