Honored Contributor

I just looked at one of Prince Charles' favorite recipes. It sounds good, and I'd like to try to make it. Of course it calls for British cheese: Tunworth - which seems like Camembert, but not really; and Golden Cenarth - couldn't find anything about a substitute for this.

It also says you can use any "strong, soft cheese." Can anyone help with substitutes for these British brands? Or can you recommend something else?

TIA!

(I will post the recipe in the Recipe forum.)  Smiley Happy  

Honored Contributor

@beach-mom 

Sounds like you need to page @dulwich . Cat Happy

Honored Contributor

@lolakimono wrote:

@beach-mom 

Sounds like you need to page @dulwich . Cat Happy

Thanks @lolakimono ! I will do that! Smiley Happy

Honored Contributor

Paging @dulwich - Can you help?

Honored Contributor

Soft strong cheese, goat cheese?  I love it with honey drizzled on it.  Feta?  Look it up and I'm sure there will be substitutes listed!  Woman Very Happy

Respected Contributor

@beach-mom   As far as I can remember the cheesey egg recipes I have eaten at home used spinach, tomato,etc  and gruyere or fontina cheese- both of which are creamy full flavored.  Tunworth very similar to Camembert as you say. Have also had this recipe made with strong blue cheese.

Golden Cenarth is a Welsh cheese with red rind.  I have only eaten it once I believe it is washed in Cider somewhere along the process never had it since.

Not much help - sorry - but any of the cheeses mentioned above would taste good.  F.y.i.  I find our cheeses have a much stronger flavor so go by your personal taste.  Enjoy. Happy Mother’s Day!

Honored Contributor

@dulwich wrote:

@beach-mom   As far as I can remember the cheesey egg recipes I have eaten at home used spinach, tomato,etc  and gruyere or fontina cheese- both of which are creamy full flavored.  Tunworth very similar to Camembert as you say. Have also had this recipe made with strong blue cheese.

Golden Cenarth is a Welsh cheese with red rind.  I have only eaten it once I believe it is washed in Cider somewhere along the process never had it since.

Not much help - sorry - but any of the cheeses mentioned above would taste good.  F.y.i.  I find our cheeses have a much stronger flavor so go by your personal taste.  Enjoy. Happy Mother’s Day!

But you WERE a help - thanks so much @dulwich ! I will experiment this week or next and let you know what happens. Happy Mother's Day to you too!  Smiley Happy

Honored Contributor

Google is an easy search:

Tunworth is our own, very British, Camembert – a soft, white-rinded cheese wonderfully reminiscent of its French cousin.

Golden Cenarth is somewhere between an Epoisses and a Vacherin Mont D’Or, and can be baked in much the same was as the latter to make a fantastic starter for two!

Substitute a nice ripe washed rind cheese in a box. such as Camembert, or better still a Vacherin Mont d’Or, Swiss or French,

Esteemed Contributor

Re: British Cheeses

[ Edited ]

@beach-mom - If you ever have questions about the harder Welsh cheese varieties, I'd be more than happy to help; they are some of my favorites in the world and I order them online often. I'm not a soft cheese fan, though, so I'm of no help in this instance. I'm glad you got some of the details you were seeking—happy cooking!

Honored Contributor

Thanks @loriqvc - good to talk to you again! I will keep you in mind. I love experimenting with different cheeses, but of course can't do that right now.

@Sooner - Thanks. I will keep thinking about this, and when I make the recipe you all will know. With the substitutions I could be using Camembert twice, but I'm going to try something else. I might be ordering online if possible. Smiley Happy