Honored Contributor

Re: Bread day for me and a friend

Dough rising buckets. I had the big one,can't find it now. LOL

extra-large-dough-rising-bucket-1__21075.1633400288.jpg

Honored Contributor

King Arthur has the 2 qt size too, but, I let stuff raise to where it's almost at the 4 qt. marking.

Respected Contributor

@SharkE have you ever made pumpernickel bread? Thats my favorite for toast. I cant get a decent dark pumpernickel like we used to get in the stores. Do you make bagels? 

Esteemed Contributor

@SharkE wrote:

Looks like a rounded ball but isn't

101_0208.jpeg

101_0209.jpeg

@SharkE  are you telling me that is the same round ball as in the after picture? I think I'll go and get some rest and look at it again lol.

Honored Contributor

@SharkE wrote:

@Icegoddess wrote:

@SharkE wrote:

when I split the risen dough must had put to much in 1 piece LOL

may look too high, but , gees Marie, this tastes good. Fluffy and tender not like that blah bakery bread it's real solid and too dark. This has no air holes and is real light.

That brand of yeast that I can only buy online is the best stuff ever was. We don't have it here in Amarillo have to order thru Walmart or Amazon.

Platninum brand, the best. That stuff will raise in half hr. I lost my yeast bucket, had to raise the dough in a glass bowl did good though probably won't fool with buying another one. Postage is too high now days.

anyway, I'll give her and her husband the more pretty one and I'll keep the best tasting. ROFL

@SharkE I'm a little lost with these terms.  Yeast bucket?  What is that?  Thanks for the Platinum yeast recommendation.  I put it in my Amazon list.  I take it you're doing it all manually?  I'm trying to use a bread machine, but came to the conclusion that I'm gonna have to just use the dough cycle and cook it in the oven to get it decently browned.  Don't want that hole in the bottom either.

They sell them at everythingKitchens . A big plastic container with measurements on the side and a lid.

My big glass bowl did a good job though.  Bread making is something that you have to read lots of recipes, figure out the best flour, find the best yeast, make sure you got the right temperature when you mix the water with the yeast.   I usually go with 115-120'. I got a thermomenter just for yeast.

Could be too when I folded over the rolled out dough I made the fat loaf a little to thick or my loaf pan wasn't big enough. As long as it didn't spill over in the oven and the taste is wonderful I don't fret over the looks.

Bread machine is not forgiving like homemade recipes are. Bread machines you have to be real precise I'd rather wing it a little. LOL

@SharkE Not so true.  We've used bread machines for 30 years with great results.  You can measure (use scoop and level method) or weigh--it doesn't matter.    It helps to give a look soon after it starts kneading to see if you need a little more water or flour, but often we don't even do that.  And the bread bakes great in the machine.

We have a large and a small 1 lb Zojirushi and use them a lot--just took out a beautiful whole wheat loaf about an hour ago--tastes great!  Looks great.  We probably use the 1 lb machine most though and keep it on the cabinet.

Honored Contributor

I like them because they just make one loaf.

When I'm making for me and somebody else I do it the old way I think it tastes better too.

I'm old school LOL

Esteemed Contributor

@KingstonsMom wrote:

@SharkE wrote:

I get the fat loaf hahhahahah she can have the more fancy one on left

@SharkE 

I'll gladly share it with ya', warm with some buttah and honey!

@KingstonsMom  and @SharkE  I have never tried bread with butter and honey. It's always just butter and jelly or jam. Will give it a try someday. It should be just as tasty.

Honored Contributor

@Sage04 wrote:

@SharkE wrote:

Looks like a rounded ball but isn't

101_0208.jpeg

101_0209.jpeg

@SharkE  are you telling me that is the same round ball as in the after picture? I think I'll go and get some rest and look at it again lol.

yep, camera is at fault

Honored Contributor

bread was in a loaf pan no way it would had baked a round.

Esteemed Contributor

@LizzieInSRQ wrote:

@SharkE have you ever made pumpernickel bread? Thats my favorite for toast. I cant get a decent dark pumpernickel like we used to get in the stores. Do you make bagels? 

@LizzieInSRQ  are you putting in an order? You won't regret it. She's a PRO!!