Super Contributor

Re: Bread Machine Recommendations?

I highly recommend the mini Zo.

Contributor

I have a West Bend Traditional Bread Machine, which makes a bread loaf shaped loaf (not a little square). It works great but it's loud, so I don't use time delay overnight--it wakes me up in the middle of the night. My sibs have Panasonics that are really quiet.

Just checked the West Bend website and they don't show the machine I have, so it might be just available second-hand.

I have made amazing breads and doughs in this machine and it has always worked perfectly. In fact, you have just reminded me that I need to fire up my next loaf today.

It's a workhorse that won't quit--I've had it about 15 years now, I think.

Respected Contributor

If you don't want to spend too much go with the Breadman. The Zo's are fantastic, but very expensive. I prefer to use mine to make dough that I shape the way I want.

Honored Contributor

On 7/1/2014 tkins said:

I am on my second Breadman in 30 years, they get consistently good reviews. My current Breadman was purchased in 2001 and is still like new including the non-stick on the bread pan and paddle (no bubbling or peeling), I even dropped it once and all that happened was a little chip/crack still works like new. There is nothing like good homemade bread, rolls and pizza. I am sorry you are frustrated and hope that you don't give up. It sounds like you might need to make some adjustments either the setting you are using or ingredients. Have you tried the same recipe or mix on different settings? Best of luck.

tkins

One thing I've never seen a warning for is that these machines tend to "dance" across the kitchen counter as they knead. My danced right over the edge the first time I used it and sustained a substantial crack in the plastic housing. Doesn't seem to effect performance, however.
New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Respected Contributor

On 7/1/2014 lacey1 said:

Seriously, how hard is this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yePMpoyXwys&list=UUZdfub88-4D0Jc_V4T_yNrA

Thanks for the link. I've not heard of this method. It sounds great and super easy to do before work when I need it. He has ebooks and regular print books. Awesome!

Honored Contributor

I wish you lived near me. I'd give you one of the three I have accumulated. Two I've never even opened the boxes.

I'm having a yard sale next week to get rid of some of this stuff. Mine is Wolfgang Puck's top of the line I bought at HSN.

I don't give more things away here (I've done it a few times to find out the things I've sent people here, they've sold it over the internet). I can't tell you how that has upset me.

Super Contributor

On 7/1/2014 lacey1 said:

Seriously, how hard is this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yePMpoyXwys&list=UUZdfub88-4D0Jc_V4T_yNrA

That was a really great video! I have seen similar recipes on Pinterest NAND you can make flavored breads like that as well. I have a Breadman I got as a wedding present in 2000. My husband used it a few times and until the lat two years it was I my attic. I finally took it down and now I use it all the time for cinnamon roll dough, pizza doughs and bread. I love it. I would love to get the Zojirushi though someday, as there is a model that makes a regular size loaf and not the weird Breadman shape.
Super Contributor

On 7/12/2014 annabellethecat said:

I wish you lived near me. I'd give you one of the three I have accumulated. Two I've never even opened the boxes.

I'm having a yard sale next week to get rid of some of this stuff. Mine is Wolfgang Puck's top of the line I bought at HSN.

I don't give more things away here (I've done it a few times to find out the things I've sent people here, they've sold it over the internet). I can't tell you how that has upset me.

You could gift them to some of your friends. I'd bet they would live to have one.