Respected Contributor

Bread Machine Recommendations?

LOVE homemade bread, but after numerous attempts, I give up. {#emotions_dlg.wink}

Anyone have recommendations for a reasonably priced machine? I've been looking at a Hamilton Beach model with decent prices and ratings.

Thanks!

Denise
Trusted Contributor

Re: Bread Machine Recommendations?

Honored Contributor

We had a Panasonic we bought in 1992, a Breadman we bought later, and now we have the larger and the mini Zojirushi. I have found that all made a good loaf, but the clear winner is the mini Zo. That thing works every time, makes a beautiful loaf, and is easy to store or small to keep out. We have had it for years and years. The big Zo is good too, but really the little one makes better bread.

That being said, they are expensive, but I thought I'd chime in because I can recommend these two machines. But you can get a good loaf from others as well.

Occasional Contributor

I have an old Breadman Ultimate and a mini-Zo. I like them both and they make good bread, but I also like to use the dough setting - the machine does the work and then I shape the dough, put it in the pan, let it rise and bake.

Super Contributor

Go with any of the Zojirushi machines. They are consistantly good. They aren't cheap.

Many years ago on the Prodigy boards, we tested many bread machines. The clear winners were the Zojirushi and the DAK/Welbilt R2D2 . Both far surpassed the Hitachi and other brands.

I still have my original 'upright loaf' Zoji (very similar to the current Zoji mini) with a 'finnish' pan, so baked loaves never have a hole in them from the blade. Also have a newer BBCEC20 with the horizontal pan. I like both, but use the older one when making gift breads so they don't have the holes in 'em. Unfortunately, the gentlemen in Florida who employed a group of people to manufacture those 'finnish' pans passed away some time ago, so 'finnish' pans were never made for the newer horizontal Zojis.

Respected Contributor

lacey1 - I've made the Mark Bittmann no knead bread numerous times, and while good for a "rustic" loaf, I sometimes prefer softer bread with finer texture. Even using my KA mixer recipes, my french and sourdough breads turn out more dense than I'd like. A 100 yrs. ago I had a bread machine that did a decent job, but I gave it away and can't remember the manufacturer.

Sooner, Sal and Daisy, thank you for the recommendation of the Zojirushi brand. {#emotions_dlg.biggrin} I'll have to re-evaluate my wish for a less expensive machine and maybe go with your tried & true experience!

Thanks again!

Denise
Respected Contributor

<h1 id="title" class="a-size-large a-spacing-none" style="box-sizing: border-box; padding: 0px; margin-top: 0px; margin-right: 0px; margin-left: 0px; font-family: Arial, sans-serif; text-rendering: optimizelegibility; font-weight: normal; color: #333333; margin-bottom: 0px !important; font-size: 21px !important; line-height: 1.3 !important;"> West Bend 41300 Hi-Rise Electronic Dual-Blade Breadmaker</h1>

Amazon or WalMart It is a decent price, has two blades and was $75 at one point.

Super Contributor

it would be tough to live in a place with the aroma of baking bread wafting through the house.

so lovely.

wonder if they could make a fragrance like that.

Esteemed Contributor

On 7/1/2014 denisemb said:

lacey1 - I've made the Mark Bittmann no knead bread numerous times, and while good for a "rustic" loaf, I sometimes prefer softer bread with finer texture. Even using my KA mixer recipes, my french and sourdough breads turn out more dense than I'd like. A 100 yrs. ago I had a bread machine that did a decent job, but I gave it away and can't remember the manufacturer.

Sooner, Sal and Daisy, thank you for the recommendation of the Zojirushi brand. {#emotions_dlg.biggrin} I'll have to re-evaluate my wish for a less expensive machine and maybe go with your tried & true experience!

Thanks again!

I have brought a few items from Amazon deals used like new. Most times a person will buy something and return to the company. The items end up in the deals store. You receive the same warranty as new, plus a 30 day return. It is a nice way too save some money.

Super Contributor

I am on my second Breadman in 30 years, they get consistently good reviews. My current Breadman was purchased in 2001 and is still like new including the non-stick on the bread pan and paddle (no bubbling or peeling), I even dropped it once and all that happened was a little chip/crack still works like new. There is nothing like good homemade bread, rolls and pizza. I am sorry you are frustrated and hope that you don't give up. It sounds like you might need to make some adjustments either the setting you are using or ingredients. Have you tried the same recipe or mix on different settings? Best of luck.

tkins