Valued Contributor

My new bread machine arrived!  We scored some all purpose flour.  The instructions say it is esscential to use bread flour.  I know for a fact that when we used our old machine, we used all purpose.

What do you guys think?

Respected Contributor

@Warrior2022 wrote:

My new bread machine arrived!  We scored some all purpose flour.  The instructions say it is esscential to use bread flour.  I know for a fact that when we used our old machine, we used all purpose.

What do you guys think?

Use bread flour, makes a better loaf. I use King Arthur and like it alot. I think it's a lighter flour.

Honored Contributor

If you can buy gluten you can add that to regular flour. I'd do some reading and find a recipe that uses regular flour or call the manufacture or at least look on their website

You can also look at King Arthur website.  I know there is some adjustment that you should make to the yeast ratio but I don't know offhand what it is.

Might also look online for recipes for AP flour.  It can be done!  It's not that different.

Honored Contributor

Re: Bread Flour

[ Edited ]

RIght now flour is hard to come by, so you can make bread with AP flour--but check out some recipes and tips online.

Bread flour is a higher protein content, which means it has more gluten in it.  So a loaf with AP flour will rise higher and be fluffier because there isn't more of the gluten to make the tight structure that holds bread together as it rises.

Cake flour is the other direction--softer--with less gluten.   So the crumb of the cake is lighter. 

Honored Contributor

I've only used bread flour, so I don't know how regular would work.

" You are entitled to your opinion. But you are not entitled to your own facts."
Daniel Patrick Moynihan
Respected Contributor

I have an older Breadman bread machine I bought in the late 90's.  I use it to make my bread dough and then I shape it and bake it in my regular oven.  I make a couple of different recipes for different loaf breads and for dinner rolls.  

I use the flour recommended in my recipes.  Some call for bread flour and some call for all purpose flour.  I have had good luck with both types of flour.  

“I heard the sound I had to follow”
In Your Wildest Dreams by Justin Hayward
Valued Contributor

Thank you all!  The King Aether site actually has a recipe for cheese bread using all purpose.

Honored Contributor

Re: Bread Flour

[ Edited ]

@Warrior2022 wrote:

What do you guys think?

@Warrior2022 

Check out recipes on King Arthur site. The one called Bread Machine Bread-Easy As Can Be uses AP Flour.

We have been making their Honey-Oat Pain de Mie recipe which also uses AP flour.

I would use the type flour the recipe calls for.

Trusted Contributor

At this poing I would use what I could get.

Respected Contributor

@Warrior2022 wrote:

What do you guys think?

I always use all purpose flour, and the bread turns out great.