Respected Contributor

Bowls for Kitchen Aid stand mixer

My 22 year old Kitchen Aid stand mixer is begining to fail.

I've been looking at the new Kitchen Aid mixers, and I see that some of the stainless bowls don't have handles. 

Does anyone have the bowl without a handle and do you like it?

Thanks

Respected Contributor

Re: Bowls for Kitchen Aid stand mixer

@deeva   Several years back when I was comparison shopping for a KitchenAid before I purchased my bowl lift here on QVC I    looked at the various display models at Sears and Macys.  

I decided in favor of the lift instead of the tilt head (so glad about that choice) and definitely wanted the handle.  They didn't have the glass bowls yet, but I wouldn't want those either.  Can't think of any reason NOT to want the handle.

I also bought an extra bowl with the handle to fit my KA model and a flex beater and they both are so good to have when I do my marathon cooking and baking at this time of year.

Respected Contributor

I agree, I really like the handle on the bowl. It easier to carry the bowl and remove it from the stand.

Super Contributor

My mixer came with the stainless bowl with no handle and I have had no problems with it.

Now I just bought one of the ceramic bowls that does have a handle, but haven't used it yet to see what I think - I just know that it's kinda heavy, so we'll see how that goes LOL. I got the "Tropical" leaf pattern (I live in FL) and it really jazzed my plain white mixer right up!

I got mine on Amazon when it was on sale, but QVC also had some on special a while ago - look at item:

K49649

https://www.qvc.com/KitchenAid-5-qt-Patterned-Ceramic-Stand-Mixer-Bowl.product.K49649.html?sc=SRCH

Honored Contributor

I would not want one without the handle. It would make it a pain to use IMO.

The only ones without handles that I saw on the Kitchen Aid site are small bowls like 2.84L, 3L & 3.3L. 

Honored Contributor

My KA is just the classic and the stainless bowl doesn't have a handle.  I know a bowl with a handle would make it easier.  Since I only cook for myself and now no one seems to want cake or cookies (everyone dieting), I hate to purchase a new bowl.  If I were baking more and/or buying a new mixer I definitely would get a bowl with a handle.

Respected Contributor

I'm hoping my current bowl will fit the new mixer. Otherwise, I might buy the new quilted stainless steel bowl.

I do like the designs on the ceramic bowls, but I'm afraid I would drop it.

Honored Contributor

I have two sizes of stainless steel bowls for my KA mixer. Both have no handles. I never gave it a thought that mine don't have handles. My old Oster mixer (from the 70's) never had handles either. I've never had handles therefore I don't miss them. 

"Pure Michigan"
Valued Contributor

@deeva - I have the KA classic tilt head mixer 4.5 qt. from the 80's and still going strong.  It came with a stainless bowl with no handles.  It was difficult to hold and remove what was made in the bowl.  I bought the 4.5 stainless bowl with the handle and used it for a long time - much easier.  I was watching America's Test Kitchen one day and they were using the 4.5 qt. classic plus mixer and using the 5 qt. glass bowl.  I called KA to see if the 5 qt. bowls they sell would fit my mixer and they said yes.  I purchased the 5 qt. stainless bowl and the flex edge beater from QVC quite a while back and love them both.  The 5 qt. bowl has a rounded handle which is more comfortable than the handle on the 4.5 qt. bowl.

Get a bowl with a handle - you won't regret it.

Honored Contributor

A few years ago I downsized my 6 qt pro lift to the Artisan tilt head which came with glass bowl.  Holy crow the bowl is beautiful but was so heavy -- knew eventually I'd drop it.

I ordered a stainless KA bowl from Amazon -- it has a handle.  (I didn't know the bowls came without) it's easy to handle & of course,like I can chill before whipping cream or recipes where I need chilled bowl.